3 CORK SHIM STRIPS for Humes & Berg (metal/Symphonic) mute Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

3 CORK SHIM STRIPS for Humes & Berg (metal/Symphonic) mute

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm

If you HAVE the three cork shim strips (1/8" thick x 1/2" wide x L-O-N-G) that are supplied with a Humes & Berg metal "Symphonic" tuba mute, never used them, and and will never use them...and could/would (maybe?) get them to me in the mail for ARRIVAL in western Tennessee by Wednesday or so, (cheapest postage should be fine)

I'd like to buy them from you, pay for postage, and pay for your packing job.

H&B isn't answering emails...
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 3 CORK SHIM STRIPS for Humes & Berg (metal/Symphonic) mu

Postby Dan Schultz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:07 pm

What's special about them? Can you just cut some strips from a sheet of cork?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:13 pm

what's wrong with getting them from amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F ... UTF8&psc=1" target="_blank

if you don't have a prime membership, let me know and I'll order them and have them sent to your house. free shipping, you'll have them in plenty of time
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Those (Amazon) are the primary corks.

I'm looking for the long add-on "shims" that are sent along WITH - and NOT attached to - the mutes (perhaps 15" - 18" long and approx. 1/8" x 1/2" size material). At the mute-owner's discretion and if needed, those SHIM corks can be glued ON TOP OF the primary (thick) corks.

I don't have any 1/8" thick composition cork that is a foot-and-a-half wide or long...
...and I don't want to waste (only) 12"-long strips of Mrs. bloke's 1/8" thick (expensive) natural cork.

I ~had~ TWO SETS of the shims (six of them), but I used TWO EACH of them on my (used for contrabass tuba) Wick metal mute...so I have none, now.

My 206 "Symphonic" mute goes in my B&S "Symphonie" just about right, but I now also have an additional F tuba. It (same basic design) has a slightly larger bell interior, so the mute goes in slightly too far into the new F tuba, and sharpens the pitch a little but more than the tuning slide can accommodate.

"A fancy tuba mute-maker" 's shop is (literally) 20 minutes away (I actually found the building for him), but there's no phone there, he's there odd hours, and I already know that he doesn't really have any real (either natural or composition) cork that particular thickness either.

...I just don't think I'd ever use 800 sq. ft. of it... :|
http://www.mantoncork.com/cork-underlayment/
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 pm

I understand now what you were asking for. When I bought my aluminum H&B mute, it didn't come in a package at all, so it didn't have anything fancy like extra corks with it (and I bought it new from brook mays) so I wasn't aware such a thing existed
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Dan Schultz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 pm

1/8" x 1/2" cork 50 feet long for about $6 plus postage.... http://www.mcmaster.com/#cork-strips/=143nwpk
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks to all !!!

There's actually an ACE Hardware in (*the worst of) the towns in my mostly-rural county, and (duh...thanks Dan) I should always check McMaster-Carr first.

Playing Dvorak 8 + a new violin concerto (several muted passages) next weekend. I think the new "fatter" F tuba will be fine for both, and (well duh) when we acquire new toys, we try to shoehorn them into gigs - regardless of whether they really are the best choice of instrument, yes? ... :P :lol:

*a societally-cancerous town with ticket-everyone-for-every-minor-infraction cops, a Walmart :roll: , a Kroger :roll: , and ugly subdivisions of bourgeois Memphis refugees - who LIKE the low crime and low taxes, YET want to force the entire county (not their OWN town's taxes) to supply them with the big-government services and amenities that were offered in (financially bankrupt) Memphis. Further, they want the entire county (again: not their town) to build new schools (even though the existing schools are not full, and - if they don't "like" the existing public schools - there are two 12-grade private schools in this county, and the "stupid-low property taxes" here would easily free up tuition money for them).
bloke

Postby YORK-aholic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:36 am

Plenty of auto parts stores have cork in sheets to make gaskets. You might call first...
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bisontuba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:45 pm

bloke wrote:If you HAVE the three cork shim strips (1/8" thick x 1/2" wide x L-O-N-G) that are supplied with a Humes & Berg metal "Symphonic" tuba mute, never used them, and and will never use them...and could/would (maybe?) get them to me in the mail for ARRIVAL in western Tennessee by Wednesday or so, (cheapest postage should be fine)

I'd like to buy them from you, pay for postage, and pay for your packing job.

H&B isn't answering emails...

Joe-
Instead of glueing extra cork on your 206 mute--which you use for your Symphonie F--another way is to use Velcro strips on the extra cork.....use the extra corked mute for the new horn, and just remove the velcro cork when going back to the Symphonie F...
Mark
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:18 am

bisontuba wrote:Joe-
Instead of glueing extra cork on your 206 mute--which you use for your Symphonie F--another way is to use Velcro strips on the extra cork.....use the extra corked mute for the new horn, and just remove the velcro cork when going back to the Symphonie F...
Mark

thnx...
' have been considering it.
Before getting involved with all of that, though (which also defines CAREFULLY removing the cork, as it is only 1/8" thick), I thought I would TEMPORARILY stick it to the mute and try it that way on BOTH tubas. :wink:
bloke

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking