Desperately seeking hard case

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
the5masons
lurker
lurker

Desperately seeking hard case

Post by the5masons »

Hi Everyone,
I am the mother of a tuba player and he has gone from a small Yamaha to a full size CC Mack Brass tuba. He is a senior in high school and plays for the city youth orchestra and participates in tuba Christmas. This means his tuba has a lot of miles on it. He has a soft gig bag but is hesitant to use it because he doesn't want to damage the tuba - we can't afford to replace it. We were lucky enough to find it used on this forum two years ago. Short story long - the Mack Brass hard case has fallen to pieces. We are looking for an affordable option for a hard case replacement. I saw an SKB hard case but wasn't sure it would fit the tuba. As I said I really do not know much about the instrument. Any help, advice and/or direction would be appreciated. It is a Mack Brass cc 4/4 5 valve tuba.
Thanks!
the5masons
lurker
lurker

Re: Desperately seeking hard case

Post by the5masons »

Thanks for the advice. We have talked about using the gig bag but the entire family is nervous about denting the tuba. I will look for a Miraphone 186 case. Hopefully someone is trying to make room in their attic!
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Post by Big Francis »

Where are you located?
the5masons
lurker
lurker

Post by the5masons »

We are in Connecticut
the5masons
lurker
lurker

Post by the5masons »

I was wondering about the MTS and SKB cases. Do you know what size would work?
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote: http://www.1800usaband.com/products/view/1836 (pretty sure there is a wheels kit available)
Taking nothing away from your advice, which I regularly rely upon and have never been sorry, but a tuba case that is advertised to fit both a 10J and a 187 sounds like something out of Harry Potter. :shock: Does it come with a bunch of customizable padding like a Gard?
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

Michael,
Taylor Music (1800usaband) is legit and deals mostly with schools. I did business with them 30 plus years ago. Most band directors are willing to settle for using a case designed to fit a 17.75" bell Miraphone BB186 as a case for the old 10J put in upside down with room left over just to have a case the tuba will fit in.
What they are saying is the a 10J will fit in that case.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.