WTB 4/4 or 5/4 CC for all-around playing

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Huffey14
lurker
lurker

WTB 4/4 or 5/4 CC for all-around playing

Post by Huffey14 »

Hey y'all,

I'm currently a student at Western Michigan University and am looking for a solid CC tuba to finish out my undergrad. I'm looking for something that can perform well in large ensembles as well as solo and chamber settings. This is going to be my first purchase of a tuba, and I'd like it to be something high quality that will last me a long time. If anyone has suggestions for what horns would suit me well, or if anyone knows of a horn like this for sale around Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/Illinois, I'd greatly appreciate any information or advice. Thanks!

Thomas Huffmaster
Western Michigan University School of Music
Thomas Huffmaster
BM, Western Michigan University '18
MM, University of Wisconsin-Madison '20
PT-6, PT-15
huffmaster@wisc.edu" target="_blank
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB 4/4 or 5/4 CC for all-around playing

Post by thevillagetuba »

What's your budget? Any preferences (rotor/piston, specific brands/models)?
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Huffey14 wrote:solid CC tuba
Huffey14 wrote:perform well in large ensembles as well as solo and chamber settings
Huffey14 wrote:high quality that will last me a long time
Miraphone 186 CC. Find a used one for $4,000 or under and you will be set.
Huffey14
lurker
lurker

Post by Huffey14 »

thevillagetuba wrote:What's your budget? Any preferences (rotor/piston, specific brands/models)?
My max right now is about $7500. I'm not too picky when it comes to valve type, but it has to be 5-valve. When it comes to brand, I know Wessex and Mack make decent 186 copies, but I'm in the market for something better than a 186. Something like a PT-20 or Miraphone 1291/1293/Bruckner.
Thomas Huffmaster
BM, Western Michigan University '18
MM, University of Wisconsin-Madison '20
PT-6, PT-15
huffmaster@wisc.edu" target="_blank
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Sounds like you are leaning toward large 4/4 piston valve instruments. I have listed a handful below, along with my thoughts:

I owned a PT-20 for about six or seven years. It was okay. From what you listed, I think the 1291/2/3 are slightly better horns than the PT-20 with better intonation. I still have my intonation tendency chart for the PT-20 tucked away somewhere in my college music folders. Third partial tended high, as is common with the smaller B&S horns.

Something about the same size as the PT-20 but a better tuba (IMO) is the Meinl Weston 2145. Slightly smaller bell flare but slightly larger bottom bow. Same goes for the PT-606 - about the same size as the PT-20, but a little nicer tuba. On the PT-20, the larger bell flare coupled with the slightly smaller diameter of the large outer bows did not lend themselves to a particularly beautiful sound in my experience.

The 1291/2 are about a half a size larger than the PT-20 and I would say the 1293 is pretty much a 5/4 tuba. The 1293 is cool because of the interchangeable lead pipes. The Meinl-Weston 2155 is also a 5/4 size tuba that is quite good. The Thor would also be something to look for if you are looking for a 5/4 tuba.

If you want to save some money without sacrificing much quality, Wisemann's PT-6 copy is pretty fantastic as well. Eastman's also got a Matt Walters-designed 4/4 CC that is supposedly great, though I haven't played one. bloke sells high-grade Hirsbrunner HB-21 copies made by JP Sterling. All these are high grade Chinese.

If you raise your budget by about $500 you'd be able to afford just about any 4/4 tuba on the used market. I've seen used Hirsbrunners go for around $8,000.

All what I've typed above aside, if you are truly looking for a do-everything tuba that is "better than a 186" and don't want to break the bank, I have found no other tuba to offer quite as good intonation or consistency as the Miraphone 188.
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Lee Stofer has a very good 5 valve Yamaha 861 CC in his shop right now. I tried it out, and it plays like a dream. I'm more of a BBb guys so I passed on it, but it could fit very nicely for what you want, IMHO. It would be priced at the top of your budget, however
B.M.E. - Wartburg College (2018)
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

Huffey14 wrote:
thevillagetuba wrote:What's your budget? Any preferences (rotor/piston, specific brands/models)?
My max right now is about $7500. I'm not too picky when it comes to valve type, but it has to be 5-valve. When it comes to brand, I know Wessex and Mack make decent 186 copies, but I'm in the market for something better than a 186. Something like a PT-20 or Miraphone 1291/1293/Bruckner.
As you are in Michigan, you could visit Wessex Tubas store in Ferrysburg and try one of the new Wyvern CC before Andy sells out. Sounds just what you require.
nbrenhol
bugler
bugler

Post by nbrenhol »

I'm selling my Jupiter 584 for $5,000. Let me know if we can make a deal.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73080" target="_blank
tubabuddha
bugler
bugler

Post by tubabuddha »

You should seriously check out my 4/4 Rudolph Meinl I have for sale. Plays much bigger then a 4/4 and can be great for solo and chamber as well.

Let me know, this horn will treat you well and last you for whatever you need it for.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74670" target="_blank
Rudy Meinl-RM 45 CC
Besson 983 Eb

"A pinhole in a trumpet makes the instrument unplayable. A bullet hole in a tuba is never noticed."
TurnerG23
lurker
lurker

Post by TurnerG23 »

Hi! I am not sure if you are still looking but I am selling my 186 CC for around $6500. Shoot me a message if you'd like to talk!

Link to post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77832&p=618632#p618632" target="_blank

Thanks!
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Since you're in Michigan, have you considered heading over to Custom Music Co in Farmington Hills? You should be able to take a number of tubas for a test drive there. Time spent there and at Wessex should answer your questions.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I'm considering selling my Gnagey CC. If you're still looking this Summer, I'll be in Michigan visiting family - I could make a point to bring the horn along.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
bgossett3665
bugler
bugler

Post by bgossett3665 »

Hello,

Im selling my Besson 995 5v CC, check out the post if your still in the market!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78262
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I am selling my 5/4 CC for inexpensive. Send me an email for details.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78083" target="_blank
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
biscuitsdonovan
bugler
bugler

Post by biscuitsdonovan »

I have my pt20p for sale for 6,700$ check it out
"Work smarter, not harder" - Zig Ziglar
B&S PT-20P-S
PT-64s
PT-50
PT-68
Parke Ofenloch
Alan Baer CC Mouthpiece
UNA Tubist studying music education
Principal Tubist with The Huntsville Youth Symphony Orchestra 2010 - 2013
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Post by mwlorrison893 »

fenne1ca wrote:I'm considering selling my Gnagey CC. If you're still looking this Summer, I'll be in Michigan visiting family - I could make a point to bring the horn along.
Still thinking about selling?