Found - Sousaphone Gigbag

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Found - Sousaphone Gigbag

Post by Toobist »

Hey all,

I'm looking for a gigbag for my Sousa. I won't be using transit with it or anything--just a car-to-gig deal. Despite the awesome case having wheels, it's still more cumbersome than an oceanliner's boat anchor.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Al
Last edited by Toobist on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Sousaphone Gigbag

Post by Bill Troiano »

Al,

As far as I know, Pro-Tec is the only company making these. I bought one for my sousaphone a few months ago. It does the job and protects the horn well, but it is cumbersome to carry around. The straps force the instrument to sit low on your back, allowing it to slap you in the butt as you walk. Also, watch out going through doorways. It's pretty wide.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

Bill Troiano wrote:Al,

As far as I know, Pro-Tec is the only company making these. I bought one for my sousaphone a few months ago. It does the job and protects the horn well, but it is cumbersome to carry around. The straps force the instrument to sit low on your back, allowing it to slap you in the butt as you walk. Also, watch out going through doorways. It's pretty wide.
Thanks Bill,

Yeah, I can't find much other than Protec.
There were a couple though: http://www.gardbags.com/eng/brasswind/s ... -trim.html
and
http://astrochat.cainer.com/aa_dt_new/s ... me_search=

Gard and Ritter look pretty good...
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I do not recommend the Ritter bag. Poor stitching, thin padding, uncomfortable straps.

As far as the Gard bag, I have the leather one. It's very nice. Good quality. I'd expect the non-leather one to be good, too. But I have no experience with it.

Oh, and I'm just offering my opinion. I'm not looking to off load any of mine. Sorry.
Tubainsauga

Post by Tubainsauga »

I bought the Protec bag about a year ago and it's starting to die, frankly. The straps are poorly anchored and the whole bag is starting to sag quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I'll replace it with the Gard bag in a few months, though I may try and reinforce the bag and add some proper hiking straps to it. I've seen the Gard bag in action and it looks like a big improvement. Also, don't get the Protec if you want to use the backpack straps. They are sized for a giant.
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

Tubainsauga wrote:I bought the Protec bag about a year ago and it's starting to die, frankly. The straps are poorly anchored and the whole bag is starting to sag quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I'll replace it with the Gard bag in a few months, though I may try and reinforce the bag and add some proper hiking straps to it. I've seen the Gard bag in action and it looks like a big improvement. Also, don't get the Protec if you want to use the backpack straps. They are sized for a giant.
A giant huh? I might fit that description....

I can get the Protec at a pretty deep discount... I may chance it. But I'm looking into how to get a Gard bag in Canada anyhow.
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

I'm especially interested in a Gard bag.

Thanks for looking!

Al
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario