WTB 4v Euphonium Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby theatomizer13 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:42 am

Hey everyone,

My brother is looking to buy a 4v Euphonium. It doesn't have to be compensating or anything fancy. We have been looking for something similar to the YEP-321, Mack brass horn would be fine but definitely used as he wants to spend under $500. I know... I know... He is cheap.

Thanks!
User avatar
theatomizer13
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby Mark Finley » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:16 am

Might be able to find a old beat up yamaha or King for that money, those would both be excellent options

here's something else to think about. I did a review on this horn, and it's actually pretty good. One note that was out of tune (easy alternate fingering took care of that)

Mendini MEP-L Lacquer Brass B Flat Euphonium with Stainless Steel Pistons, Gold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052N90CO/re ... myb0W4WBNF
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby largobone » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:39 pm

I found a very old Boosey&Co 4-valve compensator for about $500, but that's a hard find. Maybe he should try looking for a 3-valve compensator (Besson New Standard is the most common) or else get the Mendini. Why exactly does he need his own euphonium? If he just wants his own euphonium because he's tired of the school horn, I'd strongly suggest just sticking with it over a sub-par horn, especially if he's already got a Yamaha.
1961 Conn 14J Eb-Vincent DFL
Conn Intnl. 2300 (B&S PT-1 clone) BBb-Conn Helleberg
Olds O95 Sousaphone-King 26
1905 Boosey Class A Euphonium-Wick SM4M, Kosikup 10
Yamaha 301M Marching Baritone-Bach 3G
User avatar
largobone
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:47 am
Location: Iowa

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby iiipopes » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Have you been to Dave Werden's forum? They talk about a lot of horns, comparisons, reviews, and discussions about what fits a budget and so on. For example, for a person in the OP's position, and on a limited budget, the Wessex Dolce Comp is highly regarded as about the best value-for-money currently available for @$1200 new.

There just isn't really anything out there that is a concert-playable horn without needed some sort of tech work for $500, unless he wants to go with a beat up Yammy non-comp, a used American bell-front 3-valve, or such.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
User avatar
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder
 
Posts: 8047
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:10 am

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby Mark Finley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:01 pm

iiipopes wrote:Have you been to Dave Werden's forum? They talk about a lot of horns, comparisons, reviews, and discussions about what fits a budget and so on. For example, for a person in the OP's position, and on a limited budget, the Wessex Dolce Comp is highly regarded as about the best value-for-money currently available for @$1200 new.

There just isn't really anything out there that is a concert-playable horn without needed some sort of tech work for $500, unless he wants to go with a beat up Yammy non-comp, a used American bell-front 3-valve, or such.



I might have said the same thing before I tried the Medini. It really is pretty impressive
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby theatomizer13 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:52 am

I forgot to tell you the situation, sorry it was my concert on Wednesday. I teach at a middle school. My brother is actually older than me, we are both in a community band. He is using an old 3 valve front... Conn? Anyway intonation isn't that great and we both like the Euphonium sound anyway. When he was in high school he really liked the school's 4v Yamaha so that's why I say that compensating doesn't matter to him, and it puts out of his price range anyway.

I have known Yamahas to take a beating and still last quite a while, so that is a plus too. I am unsure about medini, I would really prefer to play one before i buy it on eBay from China mainly because returns would be terrible. If he were to spend $1k I would just tell him to go to Mack brass.
User avatar
theatomizer13
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:33 am

theatomizer13 wrote:I forgot to tell you the situation, sorry it was my concert on Wednesday. I teach at a middle school. My brother is actually older than me, we are both in a community band. He is using an old 3 valve front... Conn? Anyway intonation isn't that great and we both like the Euphonium sound anyway. When he was in high school he really liked the school's 4v Yamaha so that's why I say that compensating doesn't matter to him, and it puts out of his price range anyway.

I have known Yamahas to take a beating and still last quite a while, so that is a plus too. I am unsure about medini, I would really prefer to play one before i buy it on eBay from China mainly because returns would be terrible. If he were to spend $1k I would just tell him to go to Mack brass.



For 20 cents more you can buy directly from Amazon, they are the easiest company to deal with in the world

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B0052N9 ... dition=new
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5234
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Postby edsel585960 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:14 am

58mark wrote:
theatomizer13 wrote:I forgot to tell you the situation, sorry it was my concert on Wednesday. I teach at a middle school. My brother is actually older than me, we are both in a community band. He is using an old 3 valve front... Conn? Anyway intonation isn't that great and we both like the Euphonium sound anyway. When he was in high school he really liked the school's 4v Yamaha so that's why I say that compensating doesn't matter to him, and it puts out of his price range anyway.

I have known Yamahas to take a beating and still last quite a while, so that is a plus too. I am unsure about medini, I would really prefer to play one before i buy it on eBay from China mainly because returns would be terrible. If he were to spend $1k I would just tell him to go to Mack brass.



For 20 cents more you can buy directly from Amazon, they are the easiest company to deal with in the world

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B0052N9 ... dition=new" target="_blank

Plus if you have Prime it has free shipping. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 22 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Holton Mammoth, Reynolds Contempora, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, F. Schediwy Kaiser
User avatar
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: SW Florida


Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests