WTB 4v Euphonium

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
theatomizer13
bugler
bugler

WTB 4v Euphonium

Post by theatomizer13 »

Hey everyone,

My brother is looking to buy a 4v Euphonium. It doesn't have to be compensating or anything fancy. We have been looking for something similar to the YEP-321, Mack brass horn would be fine but definitely used as he wants to spend under $500. I know... I know... He is cheap.

Thanks!
largobone
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB 4v Euphonium

Post by largobone »

I found a very old Boosey&Co 4-valve compensator for about $500, but that's a hard find. Maybe he should try looking for a 3-valve compensator (Besson New Standard is the most common) or else get the Mendini. Why exactly does he need his own euphonium? If he just wants his own euphonium because he's tired of the school horn, I'd strongly suggest just sticking with it over a sub-par horn, especially if he's already got a Yamaha.
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Have you been to Dave Werden's forum? They talk about a lot of horns, comparisons, reviews, and discussions about what fits a budget and so on. For example, for a person in the OP's position, and on a limited budget, the Wessex Dolce Comp is highly regarded as about the best value-for-money currently available for @$1200 new.

There just isn't really anything out there that is a concert-playable horn without needed some sort of tech work for $500, unless he wants to go with a beat up Yammy non-comp, a used American bell-front 3-valve, or such.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
theatomizer13
bugler
bugler

Post by theatomizer13 »

I forgot to tell you the situation, sorry it was my concert on Wednesday. I teach at a middle school. My brother is actually older than me, we are both in a community band. He is using an old 3 valve front... Conn? Anyway intonation isn't that great and we both like the Euphonium sound anyway. When he was in high school he really liked the school's 4v Yamaha so that's why I say that compensating doesn't matter to him, and it puts out of his price range anyway.

I have known Yamahas to take a beating and still last quite a while, so that is a plus too. I am unsure about medini, I would really prefer to play one before i buy it on eBay from China mainly because returns would be terrible. If he were to spend $1k I would just tell him to go to Mack brass.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

58mark wrote:
theatomizer13 wrote:I forgot to tell you the situation, sorry it was my concert on Wednesday. I teach at a middle school. My brother is actually older than me, we are both in a community band. He is using an old 3 valve front... Conn? Anyway intonation isn't that great and we both like the Euphonium sound anyway. When he was in high school he really liked the school's 4v Yamaha so that's why I say that compensating doesn't matter to him, and it puts out of his price range anyway.

I have known Yamahas to take a beating and still last quite a while, so that is a plus too. I am unsure about medini, I would really prefer to play one before i buy it on eBay from China mainly because returns would be terrible. If he were to spend $1k I would just tell him to go to Mack brass.

For 20 cents more you can buy directly from Amazon, they are the easiest company to deal with in the world

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B0052N9 ... dition=new" target="_blank" target="_blank
Plus if you have Prime it has free shipping. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.