Bill Bell and his German Band

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Bill Bell and his German Band

Post by pjdicris »

Did anyone ever purchase this album from the old TubaGear site? I contacted Dave Gannett about it but he no longer offers it. I would just like some general information about it.

Thanks! :tuba:
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
BDI123
lurker
lurker

Re: Bill Bell and his German Band

Post by BDI123 »

I have that CD, what information did you want? Its' name is "An Evening With Bill Bell and His German Band"
Bill
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Post by pjdicris »

Really, I just wanted to know where to purchase it now. If not, just some brief historical information about it.
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
Jack Denniston
bugler
bugler

Post by Jack Denniston »

I don't know about a recording, but here's a bit of band history. I think Mr Bell had a German Band in NYC. I 1st heard of them when he moved to Bloomington, IN to teach at IU and formed a 15 piece German Band there. They performed regularly at recital hall and at several local taverns. They put on quite a show!! Mr Bell conducted, MC-d, sang and sometimes played his Eb sousaphone. Band members included outstanding students (e.g., Floyd Cooley and Don Harry), along with IU faculty (e.g., Henry C Smith, Louis Van Haney).
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

This recording was done at a summer camp. I'm thinking one that was in Kentucky or Tennessee, because I know Mr Bell was there a couple of years at least. (past teachers were also there.) I've tried to track down personnel in the past but have had no luck. Dave's site is gone completely, isn't it?
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

Post by mbeastep »

eupher61 wrote:This recording was done at a summer camp. I'm thinking one that was in Kentucky or Tennessee, because I know Mr Bell was there a couple of years at least. (past teachers were also there.) I've tried to track down personnel in the past but have had no luck. Dave's site is gone completely, isn't it?
I have an LP from the Cumberland Forest Music Camp at Morehead State University, Kentucky in 1966 in which Bell conducts a German band while Tom Beversdorf plays tuba. There is quite a bit of Bell's announcements on the recording and, on Stars and Stripes, he takes up his Eb sousaphone and plays the piccolo part. I was present at the performance.

mbeastep
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

Were you the person who burped? :mrgreen:

That's the one. Do you have any other names of who was playing?

I've often wondered about the"fine percussion section", or whatever he says exactly.