Seeking: Project Horn for collegiate tubist

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Jxposi
lurker
lurker

Seeking: Project Horn for collegiate tubist

Post by Jxposi »

Hi all!

I am looking for a restoration project horn for my younger brother, who is now applying to undergraduate tuba studios. I am a graduate student at CCM who dabbled with euphonium during my drum corp phase, but my tuba knowledge is limited.

I would like the project to come in at under $2000. A dear friend (and up and coming brass repairman) is willing to go a lot of the restoration at a low price, so most of the that budget will be the horn itself. What should I be looking for? All advice and input is welcome!

Thank you!
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Seeking: Project Horn for collegiate tubist

Post by The Big Ben »

Jxposi wrote: I would like the project to come in at under $2000. A dear friend (and up and coming brass repairman) is willing to go a lot of the restoration at a low price, so most of the that budget will be the horn itself. What should I be looking for? All advice and input is welcome!
Unless you have a jones for repairing tubas, I'd suggest spending the $2000 on a tuba that is in one piece and ready to go. One good one would be a King 1241 or 2341- 4v in BBb, detachable bell and either an upright bell or recording bell. There are others.
Jxposi
lurker
lurker

Post by Jxposi »

Thanks for the advice guys!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

How about this one? I have a later version of this, and it would be my main go-to tuba if I didn't have the Alex. It has a few dents but looks like it's in otherwise good shape:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76420" target="_blank
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

I messaged you about this earlier If it doesn't interest you, I'll put it up on the boards.

Here is the perfect, almost complete CC project!

It's a Boston BBb body cut to CC with a Yamaha Bell. It's in perfect condition, and bare brass.

With it, I have a 4 valve Boehm and Meinl BBb valve set (.750 bore) with slides that's not as pretty, but the valves are tight. All that needs to happens is have the valve slides cut and installed. Wa-la! CC tuba!

I'm asking $2000.00 OBO for all of the parts.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass