In need of a CC tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
aarondfreeman6
lurker
lurker

In need of a CC tuba

Post by aarondfreeman6 »

Hello,
I am a Junior in High School and really need to upgrade my tuba. I currently play on a Mienl Weston TU 25 Bb tuba. I need to upgrade because I will be going into tuba performance and auditions are coming soon. I I made Allstate last year and really want to continue the rest of my life (hopefully as a soloist) even though its really hard..... Both my parents are band directors so money is an issue in getting me a tuba. But my dad is also concerned about quality. Anyone looking to sell? of know where to look?
Thank you,
Aaron Freeman
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Re: In need of a CC tuba

Post by tyrell1111 »

Couple of questions, just to get them out of the way.

Where do you live?
What is your budget?
What are you looking for in a tuba? (CC, 4 or 5 valve?, good Chinese copy or "name brand"?, new or used?)

I'm a junior in college and recently bought my first tuba, so I have recently traveled the path you are going down. It can be an adventure, but it's pretty fun and the people here are very helpful.

All the best,

Noah
B.M.E. - Wartburg College (2018)
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
aarondfreeman6
lurker
lurker

Post by aarondfreeman6 »

YA! I am looking for a 5 vulvae rotary tuba. Preferably silver due to the warm rich sound that metal makes. My budget in somewhere around $2,000. After my undergraduate, i will most likely get a new tuba. I live in Fairfax Virginia right outside D.C. I would like to have a name brand but I dont know of any people selling them for around $2,000. Most of them are $6,000+
The used and new: I would just like it in very good shape
Thank you for helping me!
it is really appreciated!
Aaron
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

aarondfreeman6 wrote:YA! I am looking for a 5 vulvae rotary tuba. Preferably silver due to the warm rich sound that metal makes. My budget in somewhere around $2,000. After my undergraduate, i will most likely get a new tuba. I live in Fairfax Virginia right outside D.C. I would like to have a name brand but I dont know of any people selling them for around $2,000. Most of them are $6,000+
The used and new: I would just like it in very good shape
Thank you for helping me!
it is really appreciated!
Aaron

See a sponsor, MACK Brass of Virginia, and their CC 186 clone, the 410. Just what you want...
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

aarondfreeman6 wrote: Preferably silver due to the warm rich sound that metal makes.
Silver plate won't change your sound. Don't get hung up on finish.
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Alternatively, go check out Baltimore Brass. I talked with a couple of guys at their booth at Midwest Conference, and it's only about an hour or so away from Fairfax. They have a large selection on hand that you might be interested in trying.
B.M.E. - Wartburg College (2018)
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
aarondfreeman6
lurker
lurker

Post by aarondfreeman6 »

Thank you all for helping me on my search for a new horn! It has really helped! Im going to take a trip to Mack Brass this weekend!
Thanks!
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Post by Douglas »

Tom at Mack Brass is easy to work with and a good dude. Have fun at Mack Brass!
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
jhanif
lurker
lurker

Post by jhanif »

aarondfreeman6 wrote:I am looking for a 5 vulvae rotary tuba.
Oh my. What a typo! I don't know if I've ever seen a tuba with 1, let alone 5 vulvae! Been a while since I studied anatomy, though! :lol:
tubazach07

Post by tubazach07 »

Arron,
I want to lend you my advice. I like you wanted to be a professional tuba since I can remember and through luck and hard work I became one. For the last 7 years I have made my living playing the tuba around the world for the Navy. I currently gig and teach out in town in the Jacksonville,Florida area which is where I am currently stationed. I wished that when I went to Cleveland Institute of Muisc that I had joined a reserve or guard band. The band will help pay your college and you will get real world professional experience which you can't get in college plus some money on the side. I can't tell you how many musicians who show up in military bands who spent to much time in college everyday doing their 2 hr warm up before a gig and couldn't handle just having to pick up the horn and play a gig cold or not being able to play multiple styles in one concert. For instance in a concert I play brass band then brass quintet and then wind ensemble with no breaks. A typical military concert with set up, performance and tear down can be be a 12hr evolution. Learning how to find time to practice in hotels, parking lots, janitor closets, aft mooring on war ships when on tour is a valuable lesson. I have learned more about being a professional tuba player in the navy then I ever learned in college. What I am trying to say is tuba jobs are almost non existent except for the military which has at times have been on the chopping block. I suggest you look in to possible military guard or reserve bands so that you can buy the tuba you need instead of having to play a Chinese made one which will loose its value greatly over time(you get what you pay for). At the end of your 4 years of college if you want to be a professional tuba player then go out and take some active duty band auditions and see how you do. If you hate the military do your time and use the G I bill to go to any college you want for free and get your Masters degree. I tell this to every young tuba student I teach or meet because I hate seeing guys with over $100,000.00 of debt with no job. If you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime.
I wish you luck and happiness as you begin your tuba journey.
Zach
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs