Fiberglass Jupiter Sousaphone Bell

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Fiberglass Jupiter Sousaphone Bell

Post by Bill Troiano »

I'm looking for a 26 in. fiberglass bell for a Jupiter sousaphone. The horn currently has a silver plated brass bell on it and I thought a fiberglass bell would take a few pounds off and make life easier.

Thanks!
Last edited by Bill Troiano on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Fiberglass Jupiter Sousaphone Bell

Post by Bill Troiano »

I guess that makes sense, Joe, being that isn't the Jupiter sousaphone a copy of the King?
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Are all of the King sousaphone bells of the same size at 26 in.? I don't know if there could be various 26 in. bells belonging to sousaphones of different bore size, where the bell collar wouldn't be the same size.

I suppose I don't really need a Jupiter fiberglass bell, but I would like any fiberglass bell (as long as it is free of cracks and damage - I'd paint it anyway) to fit onto my Jupiter sousaphone.

Any ideas?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

As a person who has played many, if not most, of the sousaphones made, ancient and modern, over the last 40 years, the bell is the least place you will find significant weight savings. (others will differ). The best that can be said is that it will help the souzy from being a little bit top-tipsy, but that is all. The tone will suffer. So you might as well get a whole 'nutha 'glass souzy. If Jupiter is your brand, here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jupiter-596L-Fi ... SwjDZYZT6W" target="_blank

Old, "real" 36K's and "real" Kings (as in pre-cyborg) have better intonation and tone, IMO, followed closely by a good Olds/Reynolds (same instrument, depending on who was affixing badges that day.)
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Well, if that's the case, I should just use the brass bell I have. The sousaphone is really nice with excellent intonation and tone. But Lee Stofer basically rebuilt the valve section when he converted it to a CC sousaphone. I think I posted a picture a while back, but here's another. I also created a stand from a camera monopod. It works great. I'm just getting old and cranky.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Back to this again. At a gig last night, I noticed that my silver bell is cracked - 6 in. crack running across the bell. I imagine it can only get worse. Sooooo, I'm back to the fiberglass bell idea again, even if it doesn't save much in weight. Any ideas, anyone?

BTW - here's a cool picture from last night's gig in Hutto, TX. Notice my monopod sousy stand. I also have 2 in. copper pipe insulation, attached with velcro strips around the shoulder area of the horn for comfort in carrying it when I pull the mic and stroll around.

Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Hi Joe,
I'm not really thinking about how to repair the silver brass bell, but I would be interested in a fiberglass replacement for my horn. I was thinking that a Jupiter fiberglass (or whatever material it is) bell would be as heavy as the brass one. As Lee told me, the Jupiter fiberglass (??) sousaphones were designed and built to be indestructible by kids. It's pretty heavy for wuddeva material it is. If the King bell is lighter and would fit, I would prefer getting one of those. Any ideas on how to get one? I suppose I could order one from my local music store.