WTB CC tuba for College Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.

WTB CC tuba for College

Postby mwlorrison893 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:06 am

Hey everyone! I am a tuba major and Im searching for a CC tuba for my college years. I don't need anything expensive or pretty. I want something that is a great deal and plays very well. I'm not picky on brand except I have never played a Miraphone that I liked so no Miraphones. (sorry miraphone fans) Anyways, I play Bb most the time and will be teaching kids Bb once I get my degree. I just need a CC to satisfy school. I will more than likely be selling it once I finish my degree.
Thank you
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB CC tuba for College

Postby chhite » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:12 am

Where are you located? Might help us direct you to a seller.
chhite
pro musician
pro musician

Postby jeopardymaster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 am

I can recommend Tim Olt's Gnagey, posted on tubenet right now. GREAT horn.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Cerveny 601 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:23 am

Why a CC if you are already familiar with BBb? Is your professor requiring a CC? I have played CC since I was 18 but sometimes regret the switch. I ended up playing professionally after college in a military band. I played A LOT of sousaphone gigs while in that job. If you end up teaching, BBb would seem the logical choice and there are tons of great BBb tubas out there to be had at cheap prices. As long as you sound good, who really cares what key instrument you play? I do love playing CC but I have never played a BBb that needed any slide pulling to keep in tune. I have played many top of the line, handmade CC tubas that required all sorts of alternate fingerings and slide pulling gymnastics but I put up with it because I liked the sound. Now that I am older, all of that extra work is no fun. My current CC is great, Miraphone/fone copy btw, and only need to pull the slide on one note. If you really want a CC, go for it. They are lots of fun and there are great ones out there but they really aren't necessary. Play what you like, what you sound best on, and most importantly, what you like. When it comes down to it, you have to love what you sound like and enjoy what you do. My $0.02 for what it's worth.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby tubagr8 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 pm

tubagr8
lurker
lurker

Postby mwlorrison893 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 am

Casa Grossa,
I can not fully answer that question. I have honestly asked several times and I'm not for sure what type answer I get because it is never really clear. I'm in for music ed. I have ZERO desire to be a performing arts major. I've played tuba for 15 years and its always been Bb or Eb. What drives me crazy is when some new music is passed out in brass band, I play a Bb but literally read the C part in bass clef. School systems teach Bb and rarely Eb. I've never seen a C tuba in a high school public setting and I"ve helped out with high schools since 2007 when I graduated. I have a Conn 25J BBb but my professor really is wanting to sway people to a CC. Yet again, I still don't know 100% why. I hate to be blunt about it but I might just find myself a better BBb for recitals and solo work for school and then be done with it. The syllabus only states I must have my own horn, not what key it is in. I will be at the tuba conference in D.C. next week with fellow classmates to try out some different horns. I also don't want to fork out "X" amount of money for something that will 95% only be used in college.
Also, I am located in Charleston, WV.
mwlorrison893
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubanomicon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:40 pm

May I ask what budget you've set for yourself?
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
Tubanomicon
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Casca Grossa » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

mwlorrison893 wrote:Casa Grossa,
I can not fully answer that question. I have honestly asked several times and I'm not for sure what type answer I get because it is never really clear. I'm in for music ed. I have ZERO desire to be a performing arts major. I've played tuba for 15 years and its always been Bb or Eb.

I would be blunt and ask the question directly. If you end up a high school band director, BBb will probably suit you better. CC tubas cost way more and you want to get your money out if it and not just another incredible expense added to an already expensive education that you will have to repay. As to being a performance major, who really cares as long as you sound good on the instruments you play. Several big name orchestral players are adding large BBb tubas to their arsenal to play on some of the larger works because the original instrument it was written for was BBb. Look at some of the absolutely incredible orchestral players in Europe that play BBb as their primary instrument. It wouldn't make them any more professional to switch to CC. There are many musicians in the states that are singing the praises of the new, big BBb tubas from Meinl Weston and Miraphone. I think there is one professional Bloke on this board who would switch to playing on of these horns if someone donated one to his cause. For what you will spend on even a good used CC, you could get a really nice BBb and Eb from Mack Brass or Wessex or even John Packer if you got them at Bloke pricing.

What drives me crazy is when some new music is passed out in brass band, I play a Bb but literally read the C part in bass clef.

If you are saying you have to transpose your fingerings to fit the BBb, then I say keep plugging away. It's only going to add to your skill set when you get out of school and into the real world. You will be way ahead of your CC playing, performance major friends who will be completely lost when they get put into a situation where they have to transpose. It will also benefit you when teaching kids who are playing instruments that you will have to be able to transpose in your head when you teach them.

School systems teach Bb and rarely Eb. I've never seen a C tuba in a high school public setting and I"ve helped out with high schools since 2007 when I graduated.

Again this will only benefit you when teaching kids who only play BBb.

I have a Conn 25J BBb but my professor really is wanting to sway people to a CC. Yet again, I still don't know 100% why. I hate to be blunt about it but I might just find myself a better BBb for recitals and solo work for school and then be done with it. The syllabus only states I must have my own horn, not what key it is in. I will be at the tuba conference in D.C. next week with fellow classmates to try out some different horns. I also don't want to fork out "X" amount of money for something that will 95% only be used in college.

That is great thinking. If you are only going to be playing this instrument for college, why switch? Once you graduate, you will more likely finding yourself playing gigs on a sousaphone or playing in a community band. I don't think the local community band director will care what key instrument you play as long as you sound good in the section. Try out lots of instruments at the conference and let your ears influence you. Don't let other people influence you into what they think you should play. Once you are out of school, nobody is going to require you to play certain instruments unless you have a high paying studio gig where you need to produce lots of different sounds.

Also, I am located in Charleston, WV.

You are located a little out there but you could easily get to places like Baltimore Brass, Mack Brass, or do an overnight trip to Wessex USA.

Good luck
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TUbajohn20J » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 am

Yeah key doesn't matter. When I left my university in 2010, most of the music Ed majors owned a BBb. Some really nice BBb horns at that ( PT605, Willson 3100, miraphone 191).. and all of the performance majors (except me) owned CC horns. So it's really all about if you want to make the switch and learn the new fingerings or not. I was a performance major but I knew I didn't want to go the orchestral route, but instead more of modern stuff/ brass band/small chamber group/jazz/sousaphone route, so I bought a professional BBb horn. A BBb will suit you just fine for a career of teaching school kids tuba and sousa. Don't get rid of the 25J though! That's the dream concert horn and community band horn! But yes, there are great BBb horns out there if you don't think the switch to CC is necessary.
Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TUbajohn20J » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:38 am

Another interesting note: I was trying out CC horns at a convention in hopes of finding the "one". Well I tried out the Willson 3050 CC and 3100 BBb side by side. I loved the way the BBb played and something about the tone and feel just sounded better. My professor agreed. I bought the BBb for college.
Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Tubanomicon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 pm

“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs
Tubanomicon
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby bgossett3665 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Hello,

Im selling my Besson 995 5v CC, check out the post if your still in the market!

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78262
bgossett3665
bugler
bugler

Postby BBruce107 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:05 pm

I am selling my 5/4 CC tuba as well. It is not a "name brand horn" rather a Jinbao copy but it sounds good and it is affordable. Email me for details. It is a M&M 4500
BBruce107
bugler
bugler

Postby biscuitsdonovan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:05 am

Hey I have a pt20p for 6,700$ pm if interested
"Work smarter, not harder" - Zig Ziglar
B&S PT-20P-S
PT-64s
PT-50
PT-68
Parke Ofenloch