I need some advice on buying my first tuba.

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
JoseU1
lurker
lurker

I need some advice on buying my first tuba.

Post by JoseU1 »

I'm currently in college, my freshman year to be exact, and I've decided to be a music major. For the past few weeks, I've looked at tuba makes from Schiller to Wessex, to Melton Meinl Weston and Miraphone. Even The Tuba Exchange. I did some research and found that some companies make clones in China, and other countries, and ship them to the U.S and they may or may not be worth the money spent on them. I was almost completely set on getting the Wessex CC Mahler tuba for just under three grand until I found out that they're one of those companies. Reading threads here on TubeNet I've found out that it really depends on the person, how well the instrument plays, and if the price was good. Some people went for price, and others went for quality. Something about these copies doesn't sit all too well with me, so I want to find a tuba that's both of a good price and quality, if possible. I forgot to mention that I've played euphonium for 3.5 years and a BB Flat tuba for one year after that, and I'm not sure if the transition from BB Flat to CC so soon would be beneficial as I plan on auditioning for universities in a year and the military branches in another two. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank for reading this if you have. I am not 100 percent sure this is where I should post this, but I'll learn my lesson if it isn't. Thank you again, and have a great day.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: I need some advice on buying my first tuba.

Post by edsel585960 »

Don't be afraid of Wessex. Good reputation and quality control. I have one Wessex horn and it is great. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Don't be afraid of a piece of used equipment. If you keep it in good repair and/or pay to have any of its shortcomings rectified, you probably can get out of it what you paid. Whomever is giving you instruction at the college should be able to give you some direction. This person may know of a college-owned horn you can use indefinitely until you really make up your mind or know of some used instruments you could use for a month or so to really learn to play before you buy. If you are planning on a military career, learn the BBb sousaphone as a major instrument.
Last edited by The Big Ben on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

I was never a music major so I just don't know. (Marching Band at State U 30+ years ago)

Don't Colleges and Universities with serious music programs have school horns??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Post by Michael Bush »

Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Michael Bush wrote:It's a much-discussed topic.
No doubt.

That's why I'm curious about the need!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

http://www.thevillagetinker.com/horns_for_sale.htm

I've never seen a bad deal on Dan's page. (edit) he may not have exactly what you're looking for a the time, but you can always ask what might be coming down the line.

In new stuff, things are just worth what they are worth to you, regardless of what it is. If it is a good deal to you and what you want to play, go for it. If not, skip it.
Tubas
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Good news and bad news: the cost of the most expensive horns is not as much as your time is probably worth. Meaning, if you can afford one, they are not much compared to tuition and even less compared to your time.

One the other hand, if money is dear, good instruments can be had for a fraction of the cost of a new expensive model. If the school can provide you a horn, take your time. If you are doing auditions to specific places, visit those places if you can, or at least write to someone there and do some learning that way.

I had the same fear about learning a new key, a tight budget, etc. at your same age. I should have had less fear and been more interested in shopping used.

Once in awhile a BBb Miraphone will go begging in the used section here. I currently play next to a young player using an old and battered school owned model, and he sounds great on it. It never holds him back.
MORE AIR
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

swillafew wrote:I should have had less fear and been more interested in shopping used.
Huge +1.
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I would agree on finding a used horn as well. Yes, the horn may have some dents and dings, and may be not as shiny as that pretty new one....... BUT.... You will generally get a better quality horn for a decent price. Just because the Mercedes is used, doesn't mean it's not STILL a Mercedes. :tuba:
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
Roboslack
lurker
lurker

Post by Roboslack »

JoseU1,
First answer if you played Bass Clef or Treble Clef Euphonium ? That would make a BIG difference in moving from BBb to CC or EEb for that matter.
I would suggest the EEb tuba, if you have been playing Treble Euphonium or Baritone - the fingerings are mostly the same, as is the location/position on the grand staff - therefore you would also be mostly familiar.
But, if you played Bass clef Euphonium - you would need to acquire a whole new set of fingerings anyway so why not the CC tuba. Your experience on BBb tuba the fingerings are not compatible with the F, Eb, CC or other clef pitched tubas. While valve progressions are similar from Trumpet to Contra Bass the fingerings are quite different when you are reading the sheet music.

I am old! I am a former military musician (Army) having served in Germany (yes omm pa pa) and in my entire military years only played a BBb Tuba as that is all those bands use - yes I loved solos on my EEb, FF compensating lyrical tubas but the Army did NOT call for that - again only BBb work was the call. I was, before that, a Music Major and used my Pristine EEB 983 Silver Besson, 4 frontal valve tuba as played by Patrick Sheridan and American and British Brass Bands - Listen to the Salvation Army, New York Staff Band - they featured Patrick Sheridan on this model tuba on CD it is still on Amazon etc.
Incidentally, I still have the Besson 983 - that I used only for University adjudications while a music major and wore only white gloves to play and handle that tuba - it could be for sale for the right offer - but it is in Pristine, immaculate, condition, kept in it's Besson hard case and it does not even have any swirl marks in its silver...

Hope this helps and gives you something to think about.
For anyone interested in the 983 - - - make an offer.
I also have a Conn 5J and two King Sousaphones +