Looking for a quality F tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
aparrish
lurker
lurker

Looking for a quality F tuba

Post by aparrish »

Hello everyone,

I am in search of an f tuba that will fit my current (and future) needs as a tubist. That's a very broad statement so I will elaborate:

Currently, I am a Masters student studying Tuba Performance. I am in my first year and will be giving my graduate recital in April. During my undergraduate studies I was an education major and had no experience on f tuba. Since starting my MM last fall, I have picked up f tuba rather quickly. I began playing on the university's Wessex "Strauss," it was a good tuba (especially for the price). After a couple months my teacher let me use his MW 45S and I have really enjoyed that horn; I've been playing it since October. Two weeks ago, I was on a different campus for a campus visit/ trial lesson and a kind tuba performance student let me try out his Miraphone "Petrushka" and I was in love (as much as one could be as it was an instrument). I would really like to find a used "Petrushka," and I think that I'm leaning towards a valved horn, but I'm willing to try out anything.

Future tuba-related goals: I would love to play professionally and I am working my butt off to do so. I would like to find an f tuba that I could use to audition with. Probably not a massive f tuba, but something that could hold it's own since I could upgrade if needed after I won a job. I really enjoy solo playing; so a versatile tuba would be great. I am also very passionate about teaching music and plan on teaching tuba/euph at the collegiate level.

Budget: $6,000-$7,000 (not quite enough for a brand new tuba, but I feel that I'll be able to find a great f tuba in this range).

Another note: I am content using my teacher's MW 45S or the Wessex "Strauss" for now and I am willing to wait until I find a great horn that fits my needs with the right price tag on it.

Thank you guys and if you are looking to selling your f tuba or know someone that is, shoot me a pm!
Allen Parrish, DMA
Assistant Professor of Music, The University of Louisiana Monroe

Miraphone 1291 CC
Yamaha YFB 621
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking for a quality F tuba

Post by thevillagetuba »

You can't go wrong with a Wilson. They don't often come up for sale and this one is in your budget. Might even get him to go a little lower with a reasonable offer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willson-F-Tuba- ... nav=SEARCH" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by thevillagetuba on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
aparrish
lurker
lurker

Post by aparrish »

Thank you guys! I contacted the seller earlier and we're trying to work out a way to do a playing test since the horn is located 23 hours away and he explained that most people that he has met either really love playing a Wilson or not so much.

Anyone close within a couple hours of Southeastern Kansas (very Southeastern; Pittsburg, KS) have a Wilson that I could give a toot?
Allen Parrish, DMA
Assistant Professor of Music, The University of Louisiana Monroe

Miraphone 1291 CC
Yamaha YFB 621
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »