Yamaha Silent Brass, or other practice mute.

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
KTurner
bugler
bugler

Yamaha Silent Brass, or other practice mute.

Post by KTurner »

I am looking for the best and quietest practice mute. Does anyone own the newest Yamaha Silent Brass for tuba? - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-in ... ctads-adid" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank^156717928496-device^c-plaid^144148140282-sku^J47293000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA#productDetail
Any info. would be appreciated.
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Silent Brass? or other good practice mute

Post by eeflattuba »

I have one. Been using it for a while now up here in western Canada. I have played just about every practice mute on the market.The Yamaha works the best. You are going to have to get a really good set of headphones as the ear buds that come with the mute do no not work very well.
Sebastian Torjusen
lurker
lurker

Re: Yamaha Silent Brass, or other practice mute.

Post by Sebastian Torjusen »

eeflattuba wrote:I have played just about every practice mute on the market.The Yamaha works the best. You are going to have to get a really good set of headphones as the ear buds that come with the mute do no not work very well.
How would you (if you have tried it) compare it to the Schlipf practice mute?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have both Denis Wick and a Schlipf practice mutes. They are both good at reducing the volume and don't affect pitch enough to drive you nuts. Of the two, the Schlipf wins hands down for size and portability. (If painted orange, it could also be used to divert traffic.)
Sebastian Torjusen
lurker
lurker

Post by Sebastian Torjusen »

Have you had the chance to compare it to the new Yamaha Silent Brass System, Mark?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sebastian Torjusen wrote:Have you had the chance to compare it to the new Yamaha Silent Brass System, Mark?
No.
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

Just to clarify, I own the newest version of yamaha's silent brass for tuba and I have compared it both to the schlipf and denis wick tuba practice mutes on my ee flat besson 981 and my bb flat Yamaha neo.What I really like about the Yamaha is that it has an adjustable tuning stick on top of the mute that you can move so it is designed to fit any key of tuba.The schipf do not and as a result I ran into some serious tuning difficulties, particularly on my bb flat.One drawback on the Yamaha mute is that it is not very portable like the schlipf or denis wick.This is not a problem for me as I use the Yamaha mute only in my condo when I do not feel like driving to my practice space where I can play open.The electronics on the Yamaha are really good but the ear buds are useless. I ended up buying a really good set of headphones. While I could not live without my silent brass tuba mute, I really had to think twice about buying it as it was HUGELY expensive.