Tuba mouthpiece

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Trombonist
lurker
lurker

Tuba mouthpiece

Post by Trombonist »

Hello
I have been playing trombone for 3 years and I read somewhere that playing or buzzing on a tuba mouthpiece can improve trombone tone. No former tuba experience. What mouthpiece should I get?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Tuba mouthpiece

Post by thevillagetuba »

Trombonist wrote:Hello
I have been playing trombone for 3 years and I read somewhere that playing or buzzing on a tuba mouthpiece can improve trombone tone. No former tuba experience. What mouthpiece should I get?
You're just using it to buzz to promote air flow and improve time? Buy whatever is cheapest. You are not going to necessarily get better results with any one over another as you arent plugging it into a horn. If you go to Amazon, you can buy a Kelly plastic mouthpiece (I'd recommend the kellyberg as I am in the camp that thinks that Bach tuba mouthpieces are great paperweights, but any one of them will do). That will cost $40-50, comes in cool colors, and is a light practice aid that can easily be throw in a case.

There are used mouthpieces in the For Sale section, but the only one that was in this price range that I saw on the first page (a cursory glance) was a big mouthpiece that isn't needed given your goals/purpose.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

58mark wrote:In your situation just about any cheap mouthpiece will do. I wouldn't spend much money on it

this one will do

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mouthpi ... iece&psc=1" target="_blank" target="_blank
Even better--my brain immediately just went to Kelly mouthpieces and I didn't even think of the clones.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I'll give you a mouthpiece if you want it and you'll pay shipping. It's an unplayed/like new Bach (or Yamaha?) style... it was the mouthpiece that came with my Eastman, so whatever that is if you wanna do some digging and save a gift horse a trip to the dentist ;)

PM if interested :)
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band