WTB 5/4 or 6/4 sized Orchestral Horn (near future)

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

WTB 5/4 or 6/4 sized Orchestral Horn (near future)

Post by Bnich93 »

I am looking to buy a large horn for wind ensemble, orchestral, and general professional audition use. I will not have the full extent of my budget until I sell my current horn, which is currently on hold pending money, in mid January. So here I am, I don't want to go for very long without a contrabass horn and therefore want to see what the community has available. My high end budget as of mid-January will be approximately $14,000, obviously a price lower than that would be ideal and much appreciated.

Horns I am currently looking at are including but not limited to:

B&S: PT-6, PT-7/Neptune.
Meinl: Thor, 2165 Warren Deck, Ursus (4/4 but I think they sound like a 5/4).
Miraphone: 1293, 98 Siegfried (what do these even go for used?).
Gronitz: PCK.
Willson: 3050RZ.
Need not apply: Small tubas, less than 5 valves, Chinese horns, American relics(looking at you Conn), wacky frankentubas, sousaphones, quinticlaves, hurdygurdys, etc.

If anyone has a tuba that is not one of these but you feel is just as good or better, feel free to let me know. I am located in southern Georgia and the ability to try a horn in person is ideal. Easiest contact for me is bnichols@valdosta.edu" target="_blank
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB 5/4 or 6/4 sized Orchestral Horn (near future)

Post by Bnich93 »

Yup, and I've been searching through it daily for months. Just putting this out there to see if someone is motivated to sell their horn by cash if they didn't post. : :tuba:
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
lowtones425
bugler
bugler

Post by lowtones425 »

Shameless self bump for my own Rudy 5/4...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84967" target="_blank

Good luck with the search!

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Eastman 6/4 CC - Laskey 30HE
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Conn 2J 3/4 CC - Eastman Paperweight
Olds BBb Sousaphone - Tin Can
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I think there are also a few Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC's floating around here. These are really 6/4 size tubas, and can be excellent. I think they take a lot of control and maintenance to keep it in line... But if you put in the work, the results are awesome.

A Hirsbrunner HB6 might fall in that same category. Takes a little work, but can be worth the effort.

On the flip side, a PT6 or Neptune can be really easy to play... But without as colorful of a sound.

And clearly, i think the 3050RZ is excellent, especially if you need a big tuba, for big ensembles. PM me if you want...

I like all of the tubas you mentioned and think you should be able to spend far less than $14k to get something excellent.
DonnieMac
bugler
bugler

Post by DonnieMac »

My Willson3050 came from the Philly Prchestra. It was Paul K stage tuba. Overhauled 2 months ago. Hugh low register.
My Rudy 5/4 was totally worked over 3 months ago a looks brand new.
Selling either or both tubas will not leave me barren. I have 2 other CC tubas. Her the catch s that you'll never to fly t ZIP code 94025 (home of FaceBook) to play these tubas. You fly and I will cover yr ground travel, hotel and meals.
Price: $7500 ranch or 2 for $13500.
Don MacIntosh
650 323-4731.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Don, is it a piston or rotary Willson?