4 String Bass Guitar (FOUND)

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

4 String Bass Guitar (FOUND)

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Hello everyone! I skipped 4 string and started on a 5 string bass back in high school. After years of playing for fun, I've found that I much prefer the simplicity of 4 strings over 5, but I'm also quite fond of the low B. My plan is to simply re-string a 4 string as BEAD.

What I'd like to do is trade my 5 string for someone's 4 string bass. What I have to offer is my Ibanez GIO series GSR205. It has active pickups. This has been my primary bass for 8 years, and I am the only owner. This isn't top of the line, but it is solid and has a good tone. It is black and the neck, strings, and body are in great condition. There are only a few scratches on the back from my belt. I am in the Cleveland area, and would prefer a local trade if possible.

I also have a 5 string Kala U-bass to trade if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by tylerferris1213 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: 4 String Bass Guitar

Post by iiipopes »

I have played bass guitar since 1976. I have played all sorts of makes, models, and configurations. You have a fine bass that has earned its keep and you are familiar with it. If you must, I recommend that instead of a new bass you upgrade the pickups instead. My current gigging bass is very similar to yours: an Ibanez SRA305 - the low end of the totem pole some years ago, but I love how the neck feels and the slightly narrower string spacing at the bridge. I put low-noise EMG active soapbars in it to better integrate with my band's digital board. Yes, there are days when I think about getting my 4-strings out, and for the tone, low noise, and versatility I always get out the 5-string instead.

The only niggles on Ibanez basses:
1) You might have to trim the B-string intonation screw to get the saddle back far enough, depending on how your bridge is mounted.
2) If it stays in tune, great! If not, upgrade to Hipshot ultralight tuners.

Fortunately, Ibanez basses are usually not finicky about what strings you use. I have had everything on mine: all the major roundwounds, flatwounds, and others. I currently gig with a set of La Bella White Nylon in the regular gauges, and I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Usually one tweak of the truss rod is all it takes when changing make/model/gauge of strings.

The greatest thing about EMG is their accessory knob you can buy: the EXB. It is a variable scoop control that takes you from straight-to-scoop; vintage-to-modern; conventional-to-slap in one turn of one knob. Since my party band plays a wide variety of music, this is the most versatile knob on the bass.

Finally, the B string is not just about the low notes. It is about being able to play patterns up the neck and not have to be reaching for low notes as part of the patterns.

Conclusion: if you like your 5-string, keep it and play it. If you want simplicity, consider an EMG straight forward set up with volume - balance - EXB - tone so you don't have to keep fiddling with eq knobs.

I also have a Kala 4-string U-Bass in bubinga. Please post more about your Kala 5-string.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 4 String Bass Guitar

Post by tylerferris1213 »

To both of you, the Kala electric 5 string U-bass is great! The string is indeed VERY fat, but it works just fine. I was surprised at how good the intonation is on such a short scaled neck!

Now about my Ibanez, I have always loved the sound and feel of my bass. The neck is not as wide as most 5 string basses, which makes it super comfortable. The first thing I looked into was buying the nut and bridge to an Ibanez GSR200 and converting my current bass. The difference between that model and mine (the GSR205) seemed to just be the fretboard width, nut, and saddle. Alas, after an inquiry was sent to Ibanez, they said the bridges were not compatible. Again, I love my bass and I wish it could be converted to a 4 string with BEAD tuning, but it seems like converting it would risk making the instrument unmanageable.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF