Strap/Harness

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Strap/Harness

Post by ufonium2 »

I need to stand for one gig and don’t want to pay full price for a strap I may only use once. Anyone got one lying around they would sell for cheap?
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Re: Strap/Harness

Post by Lars Trawen »

Hi,
If you're not walking around it's better to use a tuba stand for standing play.
Otherwise the tuba weight could harm your backbone considerably.
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-a ... tand-black
Only a tip.
Good luck,
Lars
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

You might want to be a bit more specific. How big (or which) horn are you using? Does it have rings for a strap? If it has rings, you should be able to go to your local camping store and find something that will work in a pinch for not too much money. A guitar strap might also work. If it doesn't have rings, it's a bit more complicated. If you are looking to borrow a harness, you might let us know where you are located and when you need it.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

the elephant wrote:That thing would not hold the weight of my tubas, and it is about a foot too short for standing. Cool product, though. I like K&M stuff.
Hi Elephant,
I've used it for many years for my MW 200 Kaiser tuba and have never had any problem neither with weight nor height. I'm 6'2" tall.
Please check the max height! Sorry, I don't understand what you are complaing about.
Lars
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
ufonium2
bugler
bugler

Post by ufonium2 »

I have a compensating EEb (3+1) and it has rings. I am walking/strolling, but only for like 20 minutes so I’m not concerned about my back. I’m relatively small (5’6” and female) but so is the tuba. I have a sousaphone I usually use for standing, but this needs a (mobile) concert tuba. I’m in the Chicago suburbs. I think I have a lead on a harness, but would welcome suggestions.
fourbass
bugler
bugler

Post by fourbass »

https://sites.google.com/site/beckertuba/home-1
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Cerveny "Piggy" CC
B&S Symphonie Model F
Bundy tenor trombone
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

ufonium2 wrote:I have a compensating EEb (3+1) and it has rings. I am walking/strolling, but only for like 20 minutes so I’m not concerned about my back. I’m relatively small (5’6” and female) but so is the tuba. I have a sousaphone I usually use for standing, but this needs a (mobile) concert tuba. I’m in the Chicago suburbs. I think I have a lead on a harness, but would welcome suggestions.
If you think you might ever need a strap or harness again, the neotec suggested is a good investment. I've had one for years, use it sparingly, but when needed, it is perfect. Walking and strolling for 20 minutes is a long time. It might be worth it for your piece of mind and your back/comfort. Barring that, get something from your local camping store. It needs to wide and have padding. Maybe a rifle sling will work. You are carrying a small horn, but they get really heavy and hard to play over the time period you are playing.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I got one of them neotech harness and for the most part i have to reinvent how to use it each time, partly because i remove it entirely, but also 'cause i use it infrequently enough i am often trying a different cheap betten up old tuba in it.

It is very flexible, but different tubas line up with things differently, and i rarely feel quite satisfied that i couldn't have done it better and been more comfortable if i'd only thought a little harder. And that i think is mostly the tuba's fault for being difficult.

I kinda think any way you can get some of the weight to rest on your hips, you win in the long term and presumably the rest on your shoulders such that your arms are taking minimal weigh. Have a comfortable wrist position for your top action hand is key. In that sense, depending on where the rings are, a belt between them going over a should and holding it at a 45 degree angle can work okay.

Anyway them's my thoughts. Hope some of that proves useful. If you have a knob on your bottom bow and find a way to use it, you get style points in my book.
Thanks for playing!
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

just use the sousaphone anyways. this is a bad idea. you already have the solution, a sousaphone. nobody cares if it is "appropriate" or not. play good and it will sound good.