Searching for 2165 lead pipe Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.

Searching for 2165 lead pipe

Postby Philtubes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello tubenet,
I’m I search of a 2165 lead pipe to purchase.

Thank you

Message me here

Re: Searching for 2165 lead pipe

Postby the elephant » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm

These horns underwent so many alterations over the years that there are like ten generations of them. I do not know whether a used leadpipe from one 2165 will necessarily fit another 2165. It might, if you are lucky, but it also might not. I seem to recall two different routings of the pipe, but I do not know for certain.

Your best bet to get a pipe that fits properly is to purchase a brand new one, annealed, filled with pitch (or whatever filling they use at Melton) and unbent. Take that to a repair person you know is very good with brass instruments and tube bending, and have him bend it to fit your horn perfectly and install it for you. You cannot easily (or very successfully) bend a pipe that has already been bent, unless you know exactly what you are doing and you are only increasing the bend. Unbending it will result in some heinous wrinkles on the outside of the curve. Not advised! :mrgreen:

As a bit of experienced advice after having two of these in my life over the years: purchase an unbent 45SL-P leadpipe and use that. It will slightly lessen the massiveness of the horn while improving just about everything else. Just an opinion.

Where do you live? Knowing this helps us advise you. Knowing your budget, situation and the issue with your horn helps, too.

Good luck with your search! I think finding someone with a random 2165 leadpipe in a box somewhere is slim at best, so buying a new one might be your *only* option anyway.

Wade Rackley :tuba:
This is me being helpful. I am answering questions that no one asked using information based on rumor. I like to get indignant when this is pointed out to me because I *need* to feel helpful, even when I am not actually helping anyone but myself.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking