WTB: gold brass Miraphone 188

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

WTB: gold brass Miraphone 188

Post by bort »

Is anyone out there selling, or planning to sell a Miraphone 188 in *gold brass*?

I have a few leads on some very fine yellow brass 188's... which I will certainly consider... but having previously owned a gold brass 188, I remember those as being just a little bit "sweeter", and worked even better for me than the yellow brass (which was already great).

As a reference, I used to own an "Anniversary Model" 188 in gold brass, which was a very special tuba that I think about constantly. It was great, and I never should have sold it. I have no expectation of finding another one of those, so apart from that, my preference would be for an older 188 in gold brass, or as new of a 188 in gold brass as possible. If my budget allowed, I'd just buy a brand new gold brass 188... and I'm close to doing that, but want to check the used market first.

Anyone selling, or thinking about selling a gold brass Miraphone 188?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: WTB: gold brass Miraphone 188

Post by bort »

Bump for March!
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Brett, I'm understanding of your plight. I wish I had not sold my beautiful gold brass Miraphone 188 a few years ago. I've regretted it ever since. As you know, it's a great horn. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Ace
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Brett, What's the difference between a gold brass 188 and an Anniversary Model 188? I bought the later back in the late 80's. To me, the sound was dark and dull - like a regular 188 with the upper frequencies missing. I tried to like it. It was the most beautiful tuba I had ever seen up until that point. After a few months, I sold it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks Ace! The good news is, Miraphone made more than one... now, to find it!

Bill, the "Anniversary Model" was a name that I think might have been made up by the US importer, because the folks at Miraphone had no record of it. It was basically just a gold brass 188, but the entire valve section was nickel silver (leadpipe, all valve slides, and everything up until the main tuning slide). It was built in the mid 80's, so it had the older, wide kranz on the bell. I don't think it was old enough to be one of the handmade/thinner metal versions of the 188.

I'll have to dig up a photo of my old tuba later on.

That tuba was great! I bought it from Dillon's, and everyone there really liked it too... as does the current owner (who is smart enough to not sell it!). Perhaps the nickel silver valve section made it more rigid than other 188's, or at least in the hands of other people... but for me, that tuba looked and sounded great. I tested it against another gold brass 188 and a yellow brass 188, and preferred it to both of those.

I think the new gold brass 188's are excellent as well, and to be honest, the yellow brass is still great. Just that the gold brass Miraphones have been consistently better to me than the yellow brass ones.

(Sidebar -- I once tried a brand new 186 4-valve CC... that thing was amazing. A little smaller than I wanted, but it was extraordinarily easy to play.)
Stephen Shoop
bugler
bugler

Post by Stephen Shoop »

I am the current owner of Brett's Anniversary Model 188. Fabulous instrument! I also own a gold brass 186 Mirafone from about 1987 and a yellow brass 186 from the 1982/1983 era. All very good instruments.... each with individual strengths and weaknesses. I still refer to the 188 as "Brett's 188" Steve Shoop
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Stephen Shoop wrote:I am the current owner of Brett's Anniversary Model 188. Fabulous instrument! I also own a gold brass 186 Mirafone from about 1987 and a yellow brass 186 from the 1982/1983 era. All very good instruments.... each with individual strengths and weaknesses. I still refer to the 188 as "Brett's 188" Steve Shoop
That's funny, because I call it "Steve's 188" :)

But really, it's great to know this tuba is being played regularly by someone who is a far better tuba player than myself!
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

bort wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am ...
Bill, the "Anniversary Model" was a name that I think might have been made up by the US importer, because the folks at Miraphone had no record of it. It was basically just a gold brass 188, but the entire valve section was nickel silver (leadpipe, all valve slides, and everything up until the main tuning slide). It was built in the mid 80's, so it had the older, wide kranz on the bell. I don't think it was old enough to be one of the handmade/thinner metal versions of the 188.
There was an older, differently made version of the 188, compared to the late 80s and newer?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

bort wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am… the "Anniversary Model" was a name that I think might have been made up by the US importer, because the folks at Miraphone had no record of it. It was basically just a gold brass 188, but the entire valve section was nickel silver…
In 1986 I almost bought a very nice silver-plated Anniversary Model 188, so those also existed. I suspect it was plated over gold brass, because it too was sort of dull in tone, unlike 188s made with yellow brass (or that were silver-plated over yellow brass). In fact, I had only ever seen the Anniversary Model in silver before Rob's horn came up for sale. I like it lacquered more because the nickel and the GB combine to make a really attractive tuba.

Since lacquered was about $500 to $1000 cheaper back in the 1980s (I think?) I might have bought the horn I tested had it not been plated. I don't really like silver tubas much. I like lacquered instruments a lot more. Raw brass and silver make my hands stink!