WTB: Contrabass Trombone in F, All-Purpose Doubling Tuba Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

WTB: Contrabass Trombone in F, All-Purpose Doubling Tuba

Postby Finetales » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Any of you all have an F contra you'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price? Someone advertised a Chinese one with the valves converted to C/Db (my preference) for $1200 a while ago but they never responded to my messages.

Also interested in any reasonably-priced all-purpose tubas for this bass trombonist to double on. Eb preferred, or if there's such a thing as an F that can hold its weight in large ensembles and recording I could be interested in that too. Of course, I'll entertain BBbs and CCs as well, but they'd have to be on the smaller side.
Finetales
lurker
lurker

Re: WTB: Contrabass Trombone in F, All-Purpose Doubling Tuba

Postby bloke » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Jonathan (Wessex) - pretty soon (if not already) - should be offering a contrabass like that (at least, according to updates). Were I you, I would just bide my time and wait for him to bring it to market. These (again, according to posts) are supposed to feature (more desirable, imo) regular rotors, rather than those (as previously seen from various sellers) wretched copies-of-whatever valves. Being in Bloomington, you aren't as far away as are some from Jonathan's warehouse.

As to Eb tubas, Jonathan also offers a compensating Eb made by Jinbao, as does - I believe - Dillon Music. Those actually play pretty darn good. I've picked up used/underpriced Jinbao comp Eb tubas and resold them for market value once or twice myself.

-------------------------------------------
me...?? I'm a John Packer (aka "JP") dealer. They offer two grades of compensating Eb tubas: a student grade and a professional grade.

The professional grade JP comp. Eb is competitively-priced (new, with case and shipping) a bit lower than the typical "used English-or-German-made Besson" price, and (in my honest judgement) every bit as good as the best Besson/B&H Eb comp. tubas. Further, the included hard case is absolutely crackerjack.
info: :arrow: https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp377-sterling-eeb-tuba

There's also a "student-grade" JP comp. Eb, which is priced considerably lower. I also judge it to be also be better than some of the other China comp. Eb tubas, but (well...) not as sublime as the model described in the previous paragraph.
info: :arrow: https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp277-eeb-tuba

You should read the two paragraphs above about "stuff that I sell" just as much as advertising as informational, and should base your opinions on your own experiences and judgement.
----------------------------------------------

Others, surely, will tell you about what they are offering.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Mark Finley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Yes, wait for the new contrabass coming out by June (or earlier)

It's a huge improvement over the old one, and offers the tuning you desire.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Finetales » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks guys for your replies.

The new Wessex coming out looks great, I've been following the updates on the prototype. I've played a few Wessex instruments and some of them blew me away, so I know they can be great. My only reservation about this particular one is that a couple professional players I know tried the prototype at NAMM and said that it was pretty terrible. Wonder if that's just an issue with the prototype.
Finetales
lurker
lurker

Postby Mark Finley » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Finetales wrote:Thanks guys for your replies.

The new Wessex coming out looks great, I've been following the updates on the prototype. I've played a few Wessex instruments and some of them blew me away, so I know they can be great. My only reservation about this particular one is that a couple professional players I know tried the prototype at NAMM and said that it was pretty terrible. Wonder if that's just an issue with the prototype.

If NAMM was before the DC conference (I think it was) then the valves were out of alignment. I aligned them in between DC and TMEA and it was like playing a different instrument
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Wyvern » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am

Finetales wrote:Thanks guys for your replies.

Neither Wessex, or the prototype contrabass trombone was at NAMM - so they were obviously talking about something completely different?
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am

Yeah, that's weird

I'm very excited about this new trombone. Jonathan, will it have both sets of tuning options, or just the prototype set up C/Db?

The C/Db is nice because it feels more like a bass trombone, and is easier to pick up and sound like you know you are doing

The D/Bb set up is preferred by some because you never have to have to slide out farther than 3rd position. 5th position on a contrabass (nessesary and common on a C/Db) is way out there, and might be uncomfortable for people without arms as long as mine are
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Wyvern » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:23 am

The trombone should be supplied with both sets of slides. I can only say for certain if in the box when they arrive in the warehouse and I can check.

Another thing to note is I am having production of this trombone moved across from being made in the regular trombone department to the high-grade workshop where the hand-hammered Chicago CC's are made. This will ensure higher quality, like smoother slides and consistent valve alignment
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 am

Sweet. I think there is a lot of excitement about this instrument as it's the first non clone contrabass for an accessible price point, the first one without those terrible hagmann valves, and the first one (that I know of at any price point) with modular tuning
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Finetales » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks for getting back to me guys. Sorry for the mix up, I had a feeling I got the conference wrong. I meant TMEA, not NAMM. The bass trombonist of the Houston Grand Opera was there and one of the people I know that tried it. I'm still very interested in the new contra, as it does look like a huge step up from Thein clones (which is saying something, as some of them play really well). It will be hard not to pick one up immediately.

I've played contras in both tunings, and I just can't get comfortable with F/D/Bb. I need the valves to be in the same proportions as a bass trombone, as I really think in F when I play it rather than "this is like playing my bass with the first valve down" as I play bass sackbut as well.
Finetales
lurker
lurker

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Finetales wrote:Thanks for getting back to me guys. Sorry for the mix up, I had a feeling I got the conference wrong. I meant TMEA, not NAMM. The bass trombonist of the Houston Grand Opera was there and one of the people I know that tried it. I'm still very interested in the new contra, as it does look like a huge step up from Thein clones (which is saying something, as some of them play really well). It will be hard not to pick one up immediately.

I've played contras in both tunings, and I just can't get comfortable with F/D/Bb. I need the valves to be in the same proportions as a bass trombone, as I really think in F when I play it rather than "this is like playing my bass with the first valve down" as I play bass sackbut as well.

I played the Rath, the thein, the wessex, and the old style jinbao thein copy AT TMEA. for comfort, I would put the wessex at the top of that list, but the Rath and Thein still feel like superior instruments. If are used led to the Rath you probably won't like the wessex, but if the $15000 contras are not an option for you, you're going to love the wessex, especially because of the tuning of the valves
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Finetales » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Mark Finley wrote:I played the Rath, the thein, the wessex, and the old style jinbao thein copy AT TMEA. for comfort, I would put the wessex at the top of that list, but the Rath and Thein still feel like superior instruments. If are used led to the Rath you probably won't like the wessex, but if the $15000 contras are not an option for you, you're going to love the wessex, especially because of the tuning of the valves

I've played the Rath, Thein (not the one that Jin Bao copies, but a newer model with screw bell that's achingly gorgeous), Laetzsch, and Jurgen Voigt. But I've never owned any of them so I think I would do just fine with something affordable on a mortal's budget.
Finetales
lurker
lurker

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking