WTB a large CC 5V tuba for college and beyond (FOUND)

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Logant1447
lurker
lurker

WTB a large CC 5V tuba for college and beyond (FOUND)

Post by Logant1447 »

I just finished my first year of college as a performance major, and I'm looking for a good horn that will last me a very long time. I'm also looking for any random bits of information or tips that anyone can give me. I'm in Texas for the summer and I'm willing to travel a few states or meet half way.
Last edited by Logant1447 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB a large CC 5V tuba for college and beyond

Post by thevillagetuba »

Some information that will help us help you...

What is your budget? What do you currently play on? Why do you want something different? What have you played and liked? What have you played and not liked? What kind of ensembles do you currently play or want to play in/what are your goals? Have you discussed all of this with your professor to get recommendations?

The last being the most important. That person will know you and will probably have an idea of what horns would work for you as they probably already know the answers to all of these questions and will know how you play and your strengths and weaknesses.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Robert is right, this is a little like saying "I want to buy a car. One car, please!"

MANY great options out there, it all depends on what you want, need, and can afford.
huffcam13
lurker
lurker

Post by huffcam13 »

I've got an Eastman 632 that I'm selling, if you'd like more info, pm me.
Eastman 632- Perantucci PT-88, Conn-Helleberg
Logant1447
lurker
lurker

Post by Logant1447 »

I do not currently own a horn, but the horn I had at school was a Getzen G-50.
I have not actually played much on many other horns. I'm working on that and contacting different stores and schools in the area.
I'm looking for a versatile horn that works in many ensembles. At school, I play in the Wind Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra, Brass Quintet and Low Brass Choir. I would like more orchestral experience because in the future I would like to play for movie scores. I suppose we could use that as a focus point.
As for budget, I'd say absolutely no more that $13,000.
I have played a little bit on a few Miraphones, and I like the 1290 series horns a lot. I like larger horns like the 1293 and I really like the large bell.
I don't have any specific horns that I don't like, but I'm not a fan of tall bells. (I'm also unaware of the pros/cons of bell length)
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

It sounds like you are using your horn more or less for the same purposes as I use mine. I would recommend going for a good deal on a PT-6 or other 5/4 CC, and using the extra money in your budget for a bass tuba of some sort. I really like the balance of roles in my horns, with the 6/4 BAT backed up by a 5/4 F tuba for solo and brass quintet work.
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have a very nice Marzan 'slant-rotor' CC for sale. Only four rotors but capable of handling most any situation.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.