Looking for an F Tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Looking for an F Tuba

Post by dasanchezr »

Looking for an F tuba around the $3000 budget. I am pretty interested on BMB’s and please no rotary Chinese. My budget is flexible so please don’t hesitate to offer anything that is a bit higher I don’t mind paying more for something better.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking for an F Tuba

Post by Ken Crawford »

Don't rule out rotary Chinese, from John Packer. I'm a total rotor snob (I guess) and I love the JP rotary F. Having owned rotors from Wessex and Mack (which I loathed) I can tell you that JP is the real deal. The JP valves are right up there with B&S, because they use the same Minibal linkage components. BMB F tubas play great if you are up to the intonation wonkiness and horrific valve cap threads.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

dasanchezr
bugler
bugler

Post by dasanchezr »

Thanks! I like those two and I have them in mind just making sure I get all the deals around! in fact I think I found one that I like!
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubaguyry »

Ken Crawford wrote:BMB F tubas play great if you are up to the intonation wonkiness
I'm not sure what wonkiness you're talking about. The intonation on my BMB F is just as good as was my Miraphone 188. Granted, I've never played one with the 16" bell -- mine has the 18" bell -- but I can't imagine that that would make much difference. Besides my late teacher's Rusk-cut York CC, the BMB F is the best horn through which I've ever blown air. (I will admit, though, that you definitely DO need to be careful with the cap threads...)

OP, if you get the chance to buy a BMB F for $3k, you'll definitely want to strongly consider going for a play test.
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix