WTB: C or Bb Ophicleide

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
tuba_thomas
lurker
lurker

WTB: C or Bb Ophicleide

Post by tuba_thomas »

I've borrowed an ophicleide from my local university for years for a few gigs, but I'm finally ready to finally purchase an ophicleide of my own.

I'm fine with purchasing one in either the key of C or Bb. It can be a reproduction or an original as long as it is in playable condition. I'm not interested in buying one that needs a lot of work to make it usable.

Thanks!
rumhud
lurker
lurker

Re: WTB: C or Bb Ophicleide

Post by rumhud »

I'll make a plug for the Schiller C ophicleide. When I was first getting started last year, I was fortunate enough to have a face-to-face session with Dr. Richard Demy (a very, very fine ophicleide player himself). He told me then that this Schiller model is based on a 1905 French design, very late in the development of the ophicleide, and so incorporates some slightly more modern innovations and intonation improvements. I've never played the Bb, so I don't know if it has the same advantages. (The Schiller Bb is pretty hard to find, for some reason.) It gets a rich sound and is responsive, even in my amateur hands.

I am a huge fan of Wessex instruments and will undoubtedly buy more from them in the near future (I'm coveting the Bb helicon at the moment), but I have to say, last spring I had the opportunity to play the Wessex Bb ophicleide, and while it was LITERALLY the most beautiful instrument I've ever seen (with a gorgeous antique lacquer), I have to confess it was not an easy instrument to play, ergonomically speaking, and the sound it produced in that cursory play-through was not great. But I'd like to spend more time with it to see if the problems were with the instrument or, as I suspect, with me.
tuba_thomas
lurker
lurker

Post by tuba_thomas »

Thanks for the input! I've only learned C ophicleide so far anyway so I'll definitely be keeping an out for Schiller model for sure.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tuba_thomas
lurker
lurker

Post by tuba_thomas »

Thanks for the links and help! Definitely have some options to consider here. More links are always welcomed though! I really appreciate it!