WTB: Pro Euphonium

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Tubageek
bugler
bugler

WTB: Pro Euphonium

Post by Tubageek »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a pro-level euphonium. I have a rather small and squirrelly Besson that is hard to play, so I'm looking to upgrade. Here's what I'm looking for:

4V compensating (I'd also consider a 5V model if one were available)
Intonation and response should be average or better (again, I already have an instrument with questionable intonation)
Preference given to larger (12+ inch bell) instruments
Slight preference for silver plate, but I wouldn't turn down a lacquered horn
Not interested in used Chinese instruments - I'd rather buy a new one if I went that route

As for price, I don't have a hard ceiling, but it'd have to be really special to go over $4,500 or so. (I know this is on the low side for what I'm looking for, but I'm willing to wait for the right horn.) That price would most easily be raised for a Miraphone euph or a 5V tenor tuba.

Please PM me if you have something along these lines!
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: WTB: Pro Euphonium

Post by iiipopes »

Have you looked on Dave Werden's web site as well?
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Tubageek
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubageek »

iiipopes wrote:Have you looked on Dave Werden's web site as well?
I haven't, I'll check it out. Thanks!
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

In case you’d consider a non-comp: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90664" target="_blank
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Tubageek
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubageek »

tmz1m wrote:In case you’d consider a non-comp: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90664" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks, but I'm holding out for a compensating (or 5V) horn at this point. It looks like a good price, though!
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Tubageek wrote:
tmz1m wrote:In case you’d consider a non-comp: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90664" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks, but I'm holding out for a compensating (or 5V) horn at this point. It looks like a good price, though!

Not sure but i am curious as to what you mean by 5v? Are you referring to a 5v rotary Euph? If your a euph player as a main horn I would recommend staying with a standard 4v, piston of course. If you ar a tuba player then the 5v rotary makes a kittle nore sense. By the way, at 995 we sell the EU1150 that looks and plays a awful lot like the yamaha 642. In almost 9 years of selling almost 3 thousand of them we have only had one or two returned. I am not hear trying to make a sale as i am more interested in the 5v thing.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Tubageek
bugler
bugler

Post by Tubageek »

mctuba1 wrote:
Tubageek wrote:
tmz1m wrote:In case you’d consider a non-comp: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90664" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Not sure but i am curious as to what you mean by 5v? Are you referring to a 5v rotary Euph? If your a euph player as a main horn I would recommend staying with a standard 4v, piston of course. If you ar a tuba player then the 5v rotary makes a kittle nore sense. By the way, at 995 we sell the EU1150 that looks and plays a awful lot like the yamaha 642. In almost 9 years of selling almost 3 thousand of them we have only had one or two returned. I am not hear trying to make a sale as i am more interested in the 5v thing.
I doubled on tuba and euph as a music major in college. I preferred orchestra and quintet over band, so tuba was a more natural choice as my primary instrument, though I was a little bit better at euph. Long story short, I'm trying to get back into playing shape after 15 years off. I already have a tuba that suits my needs (Kanstul 5V Eb), so I'm trying to get a euph as well. That is why I'm looking for a pro horn (I played on a Hirsbrunner in college, so I don't want to take too far of a step down) but I don't necessarily want to spend $9,000 on a horn when I'm not yet sure how seriously I'll be playing.

But the 5V comment wasn't just about being a doubler. I have a bass trumpet, and would seriously consider getting a cimbasso. I could pretty easily see going to the local orchestras to be the guy they bring in to play all the "weird" low brass instrument parts on appropriate instruments, hence I'd want a euph on the larger side to play tenor tuba parts. The 5V horns generally seem to be more appropriate for tenor tuba parts, hence the comment about being open to that layout.

And thanks for letting me know about your horn, though I found a used Miraphone 1258A that should fit what I'm looking for, so I'm not in the market anymore.