WTB: tuba mute Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

WTB: tuba mute

Postby Tubameister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello all, I am looking to buy a mute for my horn around $50 dollars. If you have one you would be willing to part with let me know.
Tubameister
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB: tuba mute

Postby tubarex » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:18 pm

I have an original Miraphone mute from the 1970s, wood straight mute designed for the 186. It actually plays in tune in these horns, and the sound is decent. It doesn't fit the horns I use now. It is 9" diameter at the top, tapers to 2-1/4" in its 25-1/4" length. $50 would be fine. I am in the Baltimore area, or could ship.
R. Turner
Tubarex in Timonium

no job
bunch of old horns
Why do people put all this crap down here, anyway?
What's that about?
tubarex
lurker
lurker

Postby geomiklas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 am

tubarex wrote:I have an original Miraphone mute from the 1970s, wood straight mute designed for the 186. It actually plays in tune in these horns, and the sound is decent. It doesn't fit the horns I use now. It is 9" diameter at the top, tapers to 2-1/4" in its 25-1/4" length. $50 would be fine. I am in the Baltimore area, or could ship.
R. Turner

I have a 1967 186 with the smaller bell that your mute should fit well. See your PM.
George's Website
1967 Mirafone 186 5UCC
Balu Wood Tuba Mute
Schiller C Tenor Tuba
MA Music Ed Harmonica & Tuba Performance Liberty Univ(2019)
MEd Special Ed Cognitive & Physical Disabilities
BM Music Ed Tuba Performance w/John Turk
geomiklas
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am

And I am third in line for the Miraphone mute! Message me if neither the OP nor George buy it. Thanks!

Wade
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 pm

What I will describe below is NOT for sale (as I bought it as an "emergency, YET it works" SMALL/PORTABLE tuba mute), but I did buy it (here) for about $50, and perhaps (??) someone else might offer one to you in the same price range.

I bought a red/white "Stonelined" Humes & Berg "tune-able" tuba mute (with a sliding tube in the bottom). This mute features no "crown", and is very compact. It's not the greatest, but is also NOT the worst. It works.
The REASON that I bought this particular mute is because it fits in my 5/4 tuba bell, and I can still manage to zip my carrying bag around it. :idea:

ANOTHER mute (that you might be able to find for a low price...??) is one of the old Tennessee Tech (made by the tuba students - probably to fund their tuba student activities or whatever...) tuba mute. These were a large straight-sided cone (made of thin/dimpled sheet aluminum), and with a wood bottom. These are also not the greatest, but also not the worst...
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking