Looking for a small high quality tuba Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Looking for a small high quality tuba

Postby Ann Reid » Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am

Within the next two or three months I will need to buy a small/compact Eb or BBb tuba for lessons and general ensemble use. I’ve been looking at ads for new 3/4 tubas with 4 front mounted piston valves, since that seems to be potentially likely to be ergonomically successful for me.

I’m open to pretty much anything that will work, and besides needing something that plays very well with good or better intonation, I need something small enough for me to manage. Appearance is not important to me as long as an instrument is playable and potentially sounds good.

Opinions/thoughts are welcomed. I’m trying to learn everything I can as fast as possible.
Ann Reid
lurker
lurker

Re: Looking for a small high quality tuba

Postby Mark Finley » Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 am

John Packer has a the JP179B tuba that really incredible. Bloke can help you with pricing. Don't go by online pricing, dealers can beat that.

The eastman is good too, otherwise maybe look for a used yamaha. You didn't say what your budget is, so it's hard to narrow it down too much.

I have a JP379b for teaching lessons, which is similar to a Miraphone 186 but in a more compact wrap. It has a richer sound than the typical 3/4 student horn, which are what I listed earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZ0D0dpcvQ
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Ann Reid » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Mark Finley wrote:John Packer has a the JP179B tuba that really incredible. Bloke can help you with pricing. Don't go by online pricing, dealers can beat that.

The eastman is good too, otherwise maybe look for a used yamaha. You didn't say what your budget is, so it's hard to narrow it down too much.

I have a JP379b for teaching lessons, which is similar to a Miraphone 186 but in a more compact wrap. It has a richer sound than the typical 3/4 student horn, which are what I listed earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZ0D0dpcvQ" target="_blank

Thanks so much! Budget is flexible, and if I find someone who needs a museum quality Wurlitzer pedal harp, even a little higher.
Ann Reid
lurker
lurker

Postby nworbekim » Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm

i bought a JP179B (3/4 John Packer BBb) that i'm particularly proud of. it is a front action piston instrument. the feel is good and solid, it plays well and has a big sound for a little fellow. prices vary depending on the dealer...

follow this link ---->>> https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... p179b-tuba
King 2341 - Mack TU210 - JP179B - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby PRO » Tue May 21, 2019 6:18 am

Hi Ann, Please call me at 908-850-1636. I have a tuba you might like, at reasonable cost. Thanks. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby TheGoyWonder » Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm

small...or just lightweight?? because there are adult-size tubas that only weigh 16 lbs.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby anotherjtm2 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:41 pm

From the JP179B description:
Front action valves, meaning the tuba will fit in and blend well with the trombone section of any band/ensemble.

What does that mean? Visually? Sonically? Why?
- John
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Thu May 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Because top action valves put your elbow in the bass trombone players ear.

Hey, I like that!! :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking