Looking for a small high quality tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Looking for a small high quality tuba

Post by Ann Reid »

Within the next two or three months I will need to buy a small/compact Eb or BBb tuba for lessons and general ensemble use. I’ve been looking at ads for new 3/4 tubas with 4 front mounted piston valves, since that seems to be potentially likely to be ergonomically successful for me.

I’m open to pretty much anything that will work, and besides needing something that plays very well with good or better intonation, I need something small enough for me to manage. Appearance is not important to me as long as an instrument is playable and potentially sounds good.

Opinions/thoughts are welcomed. I’m trying to learn everything I can as fast as possible.
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Re: Looking for a small high quality tuba

Post by Ann Reid »

Mark Finley wrote:John Packer has a the JP179B tuba that really incredible. Bloke can help you with pricing. Don't go by online pricing, dealers can beat that.

The eastman is good too, otherwise maybe look for a used yamaha. You didn't say what your budget is, so it's hard to narrow it down too much.

I have a JP379b for teaching lessons, which is similar to a Miraphone 186 but in a more compact wrap. It has a richer sound than the typical 3/4 student horn, which are what I listed earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZ0D0dpcvQ" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks so much! Budget is flexible, and if I find someone who needs a museum quality Wurlitzer pedal harp, even a little higher.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Hi Ann, Please call me at 908-850-1636. I have a tuba you might like, at reasonable cost. Thanks. Paul.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

small...or just lightweight?? because there are adult-size tubas that only weigh 16 lbs.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Post by anotherjtm2 »

From the JP179B description:
Front action valves, meaning the tuba will fit in and blend well with the trombone section of any band/ensemble.
What does that mean? Visually? Sonically? Why?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Because top action valves put your elbow in the bass trombone players ear.

Hey, I like that!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.