WTB F tuba. 3,000 budget

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
gtuba22
bugler
bugler

WTB F tuba. 3,000 budget

Post by gtuba22 »

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with this Schiller elite FF piston valve tuba?
https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/stor ... ronzegold/" target="_blank

If so, how is it? It is in my price range for a F tuba which is 3,000.

Also, if you have a horn in this price range for sale let me know! Thank you
Best,
Greg
Greg

MW 2165
MW 45slp
Cyrilee
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB F tuba. 3,000 budget

Post by Cyrilee »

Tl;dr Don't buy the Schiller. Talking from experience and from other people's thoughts, they're really subpar horns. Instead, wait a bit for some of the great deals on BMB, Wessex, JP, and/or other budget brands that pop up occasionally on here or on Baltimore Brass, Brassark, etc. (I'll list a few options below).

I'm not the most educated on F tubas, but I would hesitate to approach Schiller instruments that aren't just for novelty. While I've never played on a Schiller Elite F, and thus it may be different, every Schiller horn I've played on has had massive resistance and tuning issues. When I mean massive, I mean tuning partials will be 20/30+ cents sharp and and will be out of tune with itself for nearly every note, and the resistance is akin to trying to play with a semi-blocked valve. Many professionals/professors I've talked to that've played on Schillers have all said it's just not worth the investment. I've heard a lot of the same sentiments echoed on old Tubenet forums as well. Granted, the instruments I've played on were half the price of the "Elite" you mentioned, and perhaps I just played the bad ones, but I just wouldn't risk it. There are so many better, more "reputable," so to speak, horns that are around the same price.

A good alternative is to buy a used instrument, since a lot of deals pop up for cheap F horns. Here are a few options for tubas within your budget. Fair warning: I haven't played most of these horns so there will be a lot of "this is what I've heard" based on research and other people's words.

John Packer 379F/379FF: The 379F is a MW 2250 clone while the 379FF is a PT15 clone (maybe I'm mixing that up, make sure to distinguish the model!). Supposedly the 379FF plays just as well or better than the horn it was cloned from. Right now, there are a few floating around from $3,200 to $4,000 from Brewknoh67, darth2ba, and tubacorbin. The latter two are vented, but it ultimately depends on location/shipping/demo-ing. Pretty sure there's one for $3,200 on dillonmusic as well.

BMB horns: I can't name a specific model, but these go from $2,500 to $5,000 so you should be able to find something in your price range. I've heard nice things about these horns as well, and you can find a few floating around on here.

Mack Brass TU540GB: While these might rarer to find on sale used, you certainly can. Or you could buy it new for $3,000. It's a decent PT15 style horn, and this is one where I can say the wonderful customer experience Mack Brass provides makes this alright to try new. Unlike Jim Laabs' music, Mack Brass has a very forgiving return policy, a very nice trial period, and are much more on top of their game with customer support and satisfaction.

Dillon DFB-399: Another Jinbao PT15 clone, but still a good option nonetheless. Goes for about $3,400 new on dillonmusic, while sales occasionally do drop it within the 2 grand price range. Matt Walters and Steve Dillon are pretty reputable and are a pleasure to work with, and the horn itself reportedly sounds and plays impressively for the pricepoint.

Wessex Berg & Linz: I believe a Linz sold for around 3 grand on here not too long ago, while there's still a $2,600 listing for a Berg from ryanbratton. Overall, the general consensus is that these horns are quality for their price, and besides minor problems regarding burr/linkages or factory residue, they play very well and aren't a direct clone of another horn. Or, if you need to have one new, the Berg is around $3,200. If you wait for their Spring sale next year, you could probably save for the more expensive horns as well. Perhaps you'd be able to find a Strauss as well, but I think they replaced that with the Symphony and the Berg...?

Older Models: Sometimes, the cheaper and older models of big Germanic brands show up for around your price range. They're plenty serviceable, and they're another option if you don't mind finish wear or signs of age. The MW46, Miraphone 180, etc. are good horns with the signature Germanic tone and flaws (low register has some issues). There's also a lonely Amati that's been on Baltimore Brass forever that's going for around 1-2 grand, but the issue is that it only has 4 valves and no case is included.

I'll shut up now, since I spend way too long writing something you might already know or that I'm woefully misinformed on; at the end of the day, it's your choice, and listening to a college student about something they don't have the experience to back up isn't always the best idea. Good luck!
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Re: WTB F tuba. 3,000 budget

Post by BBruce107 »

If you're still looking my firend Michael just posted his F for sale earlier this morning.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra