Horn Comparison Input

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Patrick.Wade.Tuba
bugler
bugler

Horn Comparison Input

Post by Patrick.Wade.Tuba »

I’m looking for input on the following horns that I’ve found for sale in my price range, but I am not familiar with the models.

Mirafone 180 F
&
Cerveny CFB-653

All information is appreciated!
Brendan Bohnhorst
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Horn Comparison Input

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I've only played 1 Cervery F tuba and 3 or 4 of that model Mirafone. The Cerveny is what I would probably get if I had to buy one of those two sight unseen.

Cerveny:
The sound on the one that I played was more inline with my concept of an F tuba. The pitch was decent enough and the build quality was alright. I would have probably vented the first valve and might have wanted a second valve slide kick added later depending on how the pitch settled once I played the thing for a few months. It was nice, but did not really get me excited about it.

Mirafone:
To me, the Mirafone 180 is pretty small and not that useful of a horn. While I am sure that you could play anything that you needed to on it, the question is would you want to? It would be neat to have one as a second F tuba if I only had access to a larger F (ie MRP, Wilson, MW 45slp, ect).

Have you looked at that Rudy F that Sasha recently posted? It might be a better all-around F tuba than either of these. Just my $0.02 for what ever that is worth these days.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: Horn Comparison Input

Post by tclements »

The Mirafone 180 is a very small F tuba, by today's standards. I have one. If you ever get out to Cali, you are welcome to come here and play it.