JP valve cluster

Repair and modification discussion
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

JP valve cluster

Post by Tabor »

Joe Sellmansberger made those John Packer CC valve clusters available, and recently posted that one had been ordered and was being delivered. That was me. I was deciding between this cluster which was pricy for me at $1800 plus shipping, and another cluster from a high-end manufacturer in Europe that would have cost a few dollars less, but did not include a 5th valve. Since this one included a 5th valve, and the linkage, and Joe says that JP makes good stuff, I decided to give it a try, and since I am the "early adopter" of this cluster, I thought I'd post an initial review of the product.

First impressions: The cluster is beautiful and shiny and smooth to the touch. It has that vertical CSO York/Nirschl/Meinl type visual layout, It was buffed and cleaned off well. At first, I thought that it was lacquered, because it was so smooth and shiny, but it was just buffed well (washing it with some dish soap gave that away). The rotor cap has an engraving on it, which is neat. The rotor and linkage feels pretty solid and it is quiet.

The gold brass and nickel silver seems nice. The slides are pretty long and all slide well. The slides have all the metal and are not lapped in for the folks who want to move their slide like a trombone, but they are lined up and that is not hard to address.

The valves, likewise, are very tight. Extreme pop. Venting might be a good idea. They are as tight as anything I've come across. The ports are very open. There are some small bumps, but not much.

One thing that is different about this cluster and many that I have seen is that the bends do not appear to be ovalized at all. Many Chinese, (and some American) products have oval bends, but these look nice and round.

I will update this post as time goes on, and especially after I have the cluster mounted to a tuba and can try it out for a while.
Tubas
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Re: JP valve cluster

Post by Frank Ortega »

Pics?
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Ok ok. This has a couple days worth of fingerprints on it and some water spots from when I washed it. (It didn't seem gunky or anything, I just wanted to wash out any manufacturing stuff that might still be in there). I pulled the slides out in one of the photos so you can see how long these nickel silver inner slides are, and have a shot of the rotor cap engraving.

Tubas
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Dumb question(s)...

Looking at your third photo, it appears there are a couple of "ghost marks" (very bottom of the third photo on the nickel part) from having braces soldered on or from the valve cluster having been mounted to a tuba at one time.

Did it come that way? If so, is there any evidence that this valve cluster was actually removed from an assembled tuba?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Yes, there are some solder footprints. There is also a remnant of solder in the end of the main tuning slide. I think it may have indeed been mounted to a tuba, or made in a jig with some other bracing attached that was then removed.
Tubas
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Those are some looong slides! I can't wait to see what it goes on! Someone could have put a set like this on that beat-up, three-valve Holton that was on ebay for so long....
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Tubajug wrote:Those are some looong slides! I can't wait to see what it goes on! Someone could have put a set like this on that beat-up, three-valve Holton that was on ebay for so long....
It will go on a very unique 5/4...hope the bugle is good. It is good looking. If it doesn't play well, it will go on something else.
Tubas
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I have a few different possibilities. This one is a mashup of stuff. Pretty, but I don't think I am going with this. It might make an interesting BBb, though.

Tubas
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

I had pulled them out to check for bell clearance and pushed them back in part way.
Tubas
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Update:

(a playable mock up using this cluster. Needs most of the bracing, cleaning up etc. Plays in CC. The cluster is held on right now with three braces.

Tubas
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Here is the update:

The tuba plays really well, and looks beautiful. I'm very happy with these valves. I did have to modify the angle of the main slide to make it fit with this wrap, and took a little off the top of the 4th run, and ran it to the bottom to get the proportions just right for this body (and added a pull ring for the heck of it), but it is a killer horn now. Thanks for selling these clusters, Joe!

Tubas
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Fabulous horn Tabor!
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

8) :tuba: 8) :tuba: 8) :tuba: 8)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Are there supposed to be pearls in the valve buttons? The recessed buttons look...different...I guess I'm just used to smooth, flat buttons. Still a great looking horn!
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Yes, normally there is something on the valves, but this did not ship with anything there. I cut out some leather discs that substitute for pearls for now, but am thinking about various materials that could go there.
Tubas