Holton 345 Repairs - She's back, with pics.

Repair and modification discussion
MN_TimTuba

Holton 345 Repairs - She's back, with pics.

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Last Sunday my wife and I dropped off my 1966 Holton 345 BBb with Xxxx Xxxxxxxx in Minneapolis. He came highly recommended by several of you. The old girl (the horn, that is) served almost 30 yrs time with a local public school, and was very much the worse for the wear. In the early 90's I was playing in the Wadena, MN Community Band, and noticed 4 or 5 of these old beat up horns in dusty cases, asked the band director about them. He said they were too large for most of the HS kids, they'd gone to a stable of Yamaha 321 horns, and I was welcome to take one of the fat Holtons and try it out. I had to piece together parts from several (tuning slides and pistons) to get one that worked, and took it home with me. I've been playing it ever since, in 4 different community bands, church, and what not. A short time ago I called the school and made a deal for the horn, finally. Now that it's officially mine, it'll finally get some TLC. The first order of business is to get the valve action smoothed up, and get the leadpipe secured to the 1st valve - it was loose and leaking air and spit. After that, the rest of the budget goes toward cosmetics and the major dents. Two things that have always bugged me are the tiny factory valve buttons and the position of the leadpipe. The valve buttons will be replaced by something along the lines of those on the King 2341. About the leadpipe - I'm having it lowered by about 2 inches. I'm a tall enough fellow, but the only way to reach the mouthpiece is to have the horn hanging low between my knees, and I'd much rather be able to have it sitting on my lap. Xxxx did the measurements, and 2" ought to do it. I'll post some "before" pics now, with "after" pics to follow when she comes home. In the meantime, a very good friend (and fellow TubeNetter) has generously offered to me the use of his King 2341 for the duration, which I greatly appreciate. I'll keep you posted as Eric informs me of the progress. I'm pretty excited to have her back, looking better and playing fine.
Tim

Photos are here - http://imgur.com/gallery/pb3dM" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by MN_TimTuba on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Holton 345 Repairs

Post by bort »

Eric will do great work, let us know how it turns out!
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

YORK-aholic,
Good tip, I'll have Eric check them out.
Thank you.
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Just a >bump< to let you know I posted the "before" photos.
RIght here - http://imgur.com/gallery/pb3dM" target="_blank
Tim
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

MN_TimTuba wrote:Just a >bump< to let you know I posted the "before" photos.
RIght here - http://imgur.com/gallery/pb3dM" target="_blank" target="_blank
Tim
A good tech should be able to work with it.Looks worse than it is. It should be pretty nice when it is done.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Ben,
I appreciate the encouragement!
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Re: Holton 345 Repairs - pics added

Post by MN_TimTuba »

York,
Yes, that dresses it right up!
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Just a quick note - in my original post I mentioned that the school where I purchased this horn had 3 or 4 more, all purchased at the same time. Since that first post several of you have contacted me, wanting to know if those other Holtons are still available. I should have mentioned that in 2010 Wadena was hit by a couple of tornadoes, one of which was an F5. The tornadoes took out the community center, the high school, and about 20% of the town. All the other Holton tubas, as well as everything else in the band room, were demolished. Here's one of many videos of the action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72s7gkwmV_w" target="_blank A dramatic end to several fine horns.
Tim
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

After an eight month wait, yesterday I picked up my horn. I have to say, my reaction is mixed. Besides the crazy long wait , there are some disappointments. I'll keep those to myself for the time being. Positives are - the leadpipe is lowered to a perfect height, both seated and standing. I had asked for larger valve buttons a la King 2341 - he installed genuine Yamaha 800 series mother of pearl, and they are beautiful. He made new, thicker, sturdier valve stems. He patched two cracks in the bell and rolled it pretty smooth. He removed every single dent, and there were many. She was chem cleaned, new corks. I took a bunch of photos, will post soon. Just wish i was more satisfied with the experience. Glad to have the big, old gal back, though.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Here are the 'after' pics. She's still ugly, but now she's smooooth and ugly 8) Go here - https://imgur.com/a/wX5rZ" target="_blank
MN_TimTuba

Re: Holton 345 Repairs - She's back, with pics.

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Thank you! Yeah, I believe she's a 'keep til I croak' horn. I may get her prettied-up in a year or so.
I put in some time playing her Saturday and Sunday...seems like I've gotten used to the King. I've got a couple of solos with band coming up in April, and will need to get my high range more firmed-up. I have to say, I wish the Holton slotted the upper half of the staff as tightly as the King does; also, re: low range, I've become used to what King needs for F1, and need some mental adjustments to get Holton to speak as readily. The pedals on Holton, tho' are rich and fat. Good thing I've got a couple of months to get reacquainted!
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Wow! What a terrific transformation! The horn is beautiful and just as importantly, I am sure it plays really well. That would be a keeper for sure. Enjoy your "new to you" Holton 345. Best wishes from a tuba player to the far northeast of you and with the same amount of snow!!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

MN_TimTuba wrote:Thank you! Yeah, I believe she's a 'keep til I croak' horn. I may get her prettied-up in a year or so.
I put in some time playing her Saturday and Sunday...seems like I've gotten used to the King. I've got a couple of solos with band coming up in April, and will need to get my high range more firmed-up. I have to say, I wish the Holton slotted the upper half of the staff as tightly as the King does; also, re: low range, I've become used to what King needs for F1, and need some mental adjustments to get Holton to speak as readily. The pedals on Holton, tho' are rich and fat. Good thing I've got a couple of months to get reacquainted!
Glad it worked out for you. Some people freak out when they see bells with the damage yours had but, as you see, a tech who knows how to use the tools can make them nice!

Have fun!