Eb or CC?

Repair and modification discussion
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Eb or CC?

Post by Tubajug »

Greetings,

I'm seeking opinions regarding whether to build a front action Eb or CC out of an H.N. White King Eb I picked up a while ago. It's got a great sound, very mellow, and a good amount of "guts" playing down to Bb (better than the Miraphone 183 Eb I borrowed). But being only 3 valves, I can't use it for much beyond TubaChristmas and other "fun" stuff.

My original plan was to turn it into a small CC tuba using a Conn 12J (I plan on acquiring another to use as a donor for adding a fourth valve). With how well it plays in Eb, I'm considering keeping it that way...

If I measured correctly, I should be able to mate it up with the right number of bows from the Conn to get it to CC with minimal cutting to either horn (none on the Eb). So my other thought was maybe try it in CC, if it doesn't work out, I can still salvage the valves and bows to get it to Eb.

Your thoughts?
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Eb or CC?

Post by roweenie »

58mark wrote:I say keep it an Eb
+1
Tubajug wrote:With how well it plays in Eb, I'm considering keeping it that way...
Which size H.N. White E flat is it? I think they made three different ones (?)
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

It has a 15" bell and is about 31" tall.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I've never had a dealing with Mr. Gnagey, but Tabor I would recommend in a heart beat, I'm astounded with the quality of the work he does.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

I vote for keep it in Eb; a small C doesn't seem to be the best match up to your 4/4 Bb.

Tubajug wrote:It's got a great sound, very mellow, and a good amount of "guts" playing down to Bb (better than the Miraphone 183 Eb I borrowed). But being only 3 valves, I can't use it for much beyond TubaChristmas and other "fun" stuff.

Fwiw, I successfully and regularly used one of these in several paying gigs- brass band, quintet, orchestra, solos, and as a performance major. Some of my best playing and most memorable musical experiences have been on a small Conn Eb. It's a lot more useful than you think...
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going to start looking at how to keep it in Eb.

I've been using it to play along with my students at school just for fun, but haven't been brave enough to take it on a polka gig yet since I've learned most everything on my BBb horn, I'm afraid I'd goof up the fingerings. I'm looking forward to having a fourth valve if it all works out though.

Thanks again everyone, feel free to keeping chiming in with any other thoughts you have.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

After looking over the Conn 12J, it should be pretty easy to convert it to a front action Eb. Does anyone have a three valve, front action set from any Eb tuba lying around? There was a fellow here who converted a York to King valves but he hasn't responded to my PMs.

I'm hoping if I can find a three valve set, I can graft on a fourth and not have to cut down a whole BBb set.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted as things move along.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon