Main tuning slide

Repair and modification discussion
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Main tuning slide

Post by roweenie »

Sorry, piston
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Actually, 20mm seems pretty standard these days on the 4th valve. The other 3 valves are 19mm.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

58mark wrote:I guess I'm old school. It used to be you never saw a piston set Larger than 750 to prevent the valve stroke from getting too long
I'm definitely old school, too :tuba:

The older Bauerfeind (and Böehm & Meinl too) valvesets were 19mm/.748 bore through all 4 valves, but at some point they seem to have transitioned into this larger 4th valve scenario.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Ideally... the entire tubing length should be conical. But then... you couldn't have adjustable slides, could you?

Courtroise messed with the concept of have NO tuning slides. that idea wasn't so hot during a time when the industry couldn't even settle on a standard for pitch.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Dan Schultz wrote: Courtroise messed with the concept of have NO tuning slides. that idea wasn't so hot during a time when the industry couldn't even settle on a standard for pitch.

That was Couturier, and each horn came with 3 slightly longer main tuning slides to keep the cylindrical length to a minimum... but on most horns the valve slides were fixed so that they could continue to increase in diameter THROUGH the valves...

Last edited by windshieldbug on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I've got to think that there's a specific reason (other than just being an opportunity to expand the bore) that these horns have a dual bore MTS. I mean, that tiny amount of expansion (roughly .040) could easily be incorporated into one of the several other branches, couldn't it?

After all, it must take a lot more trouble to make a crook with an expanding bore, where a crook with all the same bore would be much easier and convenient...?

BTW, the only piston tuba (not sousaphone) that I've ever seen without a dual bore MTS was a small bore (.656) Conn (not sure of the model, maybe the 14J?)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

It would be so cool if those folks that did all the R & D "back in the day" were to have written down the reasons why they settled on what they did.

It would be even cooler to go back in time and pick their brains.....

I'm assuming the only way to truly know the answer to my question is, in the words of York-aholic, is to "tack it together and see how it plays" :| Personally, I'm simply too lazy to reinvent the wheel....

I think what I'll do is use an MTS that is 20mm/21mm, and then cut the dogleg further up the taper, at a point that will be equal to 21mm, or expand it slightly to accommodate 21mm at the present end....

Short of that, if any of the gurus out there have a method where a 19.5 mm tube can be affixed to a 20 mm knuckle, I'd be greatly appreciative to find out what it is 8)

Image ???
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

roweenie wrote:If the King you're referring to is the 2340/1, I beg to disagree (I can't speak to the sousaphone).
Point taken. I'm older than that. At least the older souzys does have a "down and back" main tuning slide before the valve block.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.