6 valve Fafner

Repair and modification discussion
Patrase
bugler
bugler

6 valve Fafner

Post by Patrase »

Due to physical issues (sore fingers and shoulders) I have had to mostly give up brass band style tubas.

I picked up a used Fafner locally and got the optional 5th valve (dependant flat whole tone) from Bob Tucci.

Still there was an intonation gap for 4+2 combinations - too sharp. So much like Bloke I prefer to mash buttons than pull slides - especially in Brass Band playing. So I ordered another valve equivalent to a flat half tone.

Not finished yet - but the repairman has sent me a few pics. Basically it will be like the Meinl Weston 2260 F tuba - a flat whole tone valve and a flat half tone valve in the fourth valve circuit. The really neat part is that the flat whole tone slide can be moved (as it is in the fourth valve tuning slide) and the linkage not be altered (okay maybe the ratio will be change but not too much)

Some pics here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgaWhgpXkad7iIUs01urC9i3Skp75w" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Note I will probably delete the link soon as not sure how secure onedrive is
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: 6 valve Fafner

Post by tclements »

I have always maintained that a 6 valve tuba is the best option for us. HOWEVER, I prefer them IN line (not dependent).
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Yeah ideally an inline setup would have been best. But Mr Tucci advised that they tried an inline 5th valve in developing the rotary Fafner and the response was adversely impacted. Who am I to question the man involved in the design of the tuba. So a dependant setup it is.
Generally the Bb Brass Band parts I play rarely get above the middle register so the accurate tuning was needed in the lower register with the 4th valve depressed.
I don't want to pressure my repairman but am hoping to get it back in time for the weekend so I can try it at rehearsal.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Sorry, this is a tangent, but with the Fafner and the Alexander 164 having the same 21.5 mm valve bore and a similar slide layout is there any chance the dependent Fafner valve could fit the 164 with minimal modification?

Thanks for any thoughts or info!
-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Maybe - but you would need to also buy the Fafner 4th valve slide. The fafner 4th valve slide fits into the dependant 5th valve. So it would be expensive.

I ordered the flat half tone valve from Uwe Schneider and you can choose what length, valve orientation etc as a custom valve. The beauty is he speaks English so then he can go to wherever in Germany to get the valve made to whatever specifications you want. Buying from him would probably be quicker, cheaper and fit with the same amount of work as buying a Fafner valve from Meinl Weston.

But ultimately I don't really know if the Fafner valve would be a straight swap.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

T. J. Ricer wrote:Sorry, this is a tangent, but with the Fafner and the Alexander 164 having the same 21.5 mm valve bore and a similar slide layout is there any chance the dependent Fafner valve could fit the 164 with minimal modification?

Thanks for any thoughts or info!
-T. J.
Hi T.J.
Getting parts for a technician to assemble to make a plug and play for your Alex is quite straight forward.
Melton do one for the 197 and hand made Fafner that has a similar layout to your Alex.

Mike
The designer of the Fafner detachable 5th!
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

Patrase wrote:Due to physical issues (sore fingers and shoulders) I have had to mostly give up brass band style tubas.

I picked up a used Fafner locally and got the optional 5th valve (dependant flat whole tone) from Bob Tucci.

Still there was an intonation gap for 4+2 combinations - too sharp. So much like Bloke I prefer to mash buttons than pull slides - especially in Brass Band playing. So I ordered another valve equivalent to a flat half tone.

Not finished yet - but the repairman has sent me a few pics. Basically it will be like the Meinl Weston 2260 F tuba - a flat whole tone valve and a flat half tone valve in the fourth valve circuit. The really neat part is that the flat whole tone slide can be moved (as it is in the fourth valve tuning slide) and the linkage not be altered (okay maybe the ratio will be change but not too much)

Some pics here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgaWhgpXkad7iIUs01urC9i3Skp75w" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Note I will probably delete the link soon as not sure how secure onedrive is
When I had the first one made by the factory I found the issue of 2 and 4 insurmountable.
So I took it apart and built it into the 4th loop. Then the slide could actually be used. on your picture of the 6th valve. If you take out the 3" wide bend directly behind the 6th slide. You can plumb the 5th in there using the parts available. The 5th slide then comes up at the back and is easy to access.
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

Hey Mike,

I will pass your ideas on to the repairman.

PS I have the the good fortune to play 2nd BBb bass with Dean Morley on first. He wants me to play a Besson Bb but my body can't take it
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo