Asking, because I don't know

Repair and modification discussion
MN_TimTuba

Asking, because I don't know

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I've never sent a horn off for major repair before, am a complete rookie at this. Also, I'm not looking to throw anyone under the bus. I just need to understand what is reasonable.
Late March/early April of 2017 I delivered my horn to a repair person who had been recommended to me, and is a personal friend of a personal friend. I gave him a list of repairs, and told him I had a budget of $1000. No new parts needed, just dents (quite a few), a few air leaks, move the leadpipe, and smooth up the valves. He said that would be no problem, and I could have the horn by end of summer. I've kept in contact with him at least every month, always get "It's looking good, I'm right in the middle of it." In September it wasn't ready. Late October it wasn't ready, was told it'll be all set in November. It wasn't. Twice. Was told right before Christmas it would be, then the day before I would drive to pick it up was told it wouldn't. He said January for sure. I talked to him on Tuesday 1/16 - he said Saturday 1/13 for sure, it was all set. On Saturday, while dining with friends my phone rang; said he ran into some issues and I wasn't ready yet. I didn't lose my cool, because I don't know how long these things should take, but it seems like too long. I told him I need it in 2 weeks. He said that was no problem.
Like I said, I don't want to throw him under the bus, but it seems a) too long and b) like something is fishy. My friends on Saturday (all musicians) told me I should just go, get all the parts from him, have someone else finish things, and stiff the original repairman, but that's just not my way.
Should I continue to be patient, or should I just demand my horn if it's not ready this time?
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Asking, because I don't know

Post by Ace »

I have had a similar experience, but not nearly as frustrating as yours. My intuition tells me you should go to the guy's shop, retrieve your horn, and not pay him a dime. He sounds like a deadbeat to me. I hope he hasn't "lost" or sold your horn. Good luck to you.

Ace
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

You at least deserve answers. Things take time, but this much time and lack of communication are not good.

I would get it back now, and pay for what was done. Whatever he did so far, you would still owe to him, no matter how crummy the communication. But i would leave and go somewhere else. I didn't want to say it like Ace did, but I hope it wasn't lost or stolen. Realistically though, the simplest answer is usually true, and i think it has just been perpetually put on the back burner and hoped you wouldn't mind. Intentional or not... Time to move on so you can actually play your tuba!
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I have had experience of sending horns off for lengthy "repairs" or "builds". I habe been very thankful that the individual I work with is very through and updates me constantly. When issues are noticed he let's me know immediately. As far as your horn, I would go get it...
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote:guess:
They're continuously doing $200 repairs that take three hours, instead of a $1000 repair that takes twenty hours.
Yes, I'd been thinking along those lines.
I'm calling today, give him a final date to pick up completed or not, will have to work out just what he gets paid. If it's all done I'll be happy. Will keep you updated.
I do appreciate the good advice; am kicking myself that I didn't just pick 'er up after the 2nd "It's not ready yet". Live and learn.
Many thanks.
PS - re: Live and Learn. The problem isn't learning; the problem is living long enough to learn it all.
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

re: re: Live and Learn... I lived long enough to learn that you can't live long enough to learn it all, or even all that one should learn.
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Update, for those who are interested.
I just spoke with my repair man, told him I'll be there to pick up my Holton on Saturday the 27th (he's over 3 hrs away) whether it's done or not. He said, "that's no problem, it'll be all ready".....again.
If necessary, I do have a back-up tech in mind, thanks to Bort. Hoping I won't be dropping off a bag of parts.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Good Luck!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Today was the day? How did it go?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote:
bloke-joke wrote:Sy comes home after his mother's funeral to try to put the place in order. He goes up to the attic to look around and finds an old trunk. Looking in it, he discovers his father's WWll uniform. Sy tries it on and it's a little tight on him. Before taking it off, he puts his hand in the pocket and comes up with a ticket. Looking at it, he finds a shoe repair ticket for Herman's on West 53rd, dated January 14th, 1942. He can barely believe it. An unclaimed ticket 55 years old. Weeks later, Sy happens to be in the area of West 53rd and wanders over to see where the shoe repair was. He can't believe his good luck, a shoe repair store is still there. He wanders in and tells the story of finding the ticket to the old man. The man says his name is Herman and has owned the shop for 60 years. "Gimme the ticket" says Herman and wanders to the back of the shop. Sy is amazed. What good fortune! What a coincidence! Only in America! Herman comes back. "I've got your shoes. They'll be done tomorrow!"
Ha, an appropriate and inspired writing! I believe the reference is 1 Joe 1:1 (comes right after The Book Of Arnold)