Repair tech in northeast or central florida

Repair and modification discussion
sutadarkside
lurker
lurker

Repair tech in northeast or central florida

Post by sutadarkside »

Greetings all,

I have not played more than a few notes in the last 10 years but want very badly to get back into playing. I have an old weltklang BBb 4 rotary valve tuba that needs a lot of work. I got it in high school (15 years ago) and it hasn’t quite worked right since. It was shipped to us in a cardboard box (no case) which caused a lot of issues that the local repair shop for the high schools kind of fixed, but not well. Since then it’s seemed to always have valve issues. I’ve taken it to several music and arts/ Sam ash style repair shops over the years and not surprisingly, gotten poor results. I know there are some soldering issues, probably a leak or two, but my main concern is the valves. At some point it fell right on top of the valves and broke the bracing connecting the linkages to the horn. Can anyone recommend someone in Florida, preferably jacksonville, Orlando, or somewhere in between who would be a better choice than the random music shops I’ve been to? I would at least like to have a true professional look at the horn and let me know what it would take to fix it, or if it may be worth looking into mackbrass/ Wessex as a possible replacement.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Repair tech in northeast or central florida

Post by Dan Schultz »

Tom Treece
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
sutadarkside
lurker
lurker

Post by sutadarkside »

Thank you both for the recommendation. I googled for a while and couldn't come up with any contract information beyond that he's in Orlando and worked with kanstul. Any suggestions on how to go about contacting him?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

sutadarkside wrote:Thank you both for the recommendation. I googled for a while and couldn't come up with any contract information beyond that he's in Orlando and worked with kanstul. Any suggestions on how to go about contacting him?
Tom would not mind me sharing his contact information but I'd rather not do it publicly. Send me an email... danschultz@wowway.com" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.