Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker? Bookmark and Share

Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker?

Postby tubacchus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:28 pm

I’m looking at a Miraphone 186 for sale, from the 70s. It sounds great, and it appears to be in excellent condition, but I noticed some spots on the leadpipe that appear to be red rot. Should this be a deal breaker? Opinions? Suggestions?

Photos here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xv1Td ... qPU9l9EQ_X" target="_blank

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tubacchus
lurker
lurker

Re: Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker?

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 am

Red rot is places where the zinc has been dissolved out of the brass via lime deposits on the inside, with only copper remaining.

The point is that (though weakened) copper does remain. If the price is low enough (please don't tell us the price) and you like to the tuba, that's an issue for negotiation but (OK...sure...depending on the buyer...) not necessarily an issue for disqualification, particularly if that's the only place on the entire instrument.

I'm not saying whether-or-not I would buy it, and I'm not saying how much or how little red rot distresses me personally...but - were I to buy that tuba - the first thing I would do would be to have someone remove the 1st rotor, (using a rubber stopper) plug the hole from that casing to the mouthpipe tube, flood the mouthpipe tube with cleaning acid ("Slime-Away") for several minutes, drain it, rinse the mouthpipe, go back and scrub the mouthpipe interior manually with Dawn and a fairly snug-fitting brush, and rinse again.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tubacchus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Thank you for the viewpoint and the cleaning recommendation.
tubacchus
lurker
lurker

Postby Radar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 pm

My 186 of similar vintage has similar spots on the lead pipe, I've had it chemically cleaned, and I try to clean it on a regular basis with dawn dishsoap and a brush. I've had other horns with these spots and never had one develop a hole. If it's only on the lead pipe, and you're getting a good price on it, what would it cost to replace the lead pipe if and when it develops a hole (which may never happen)? I personally if a liked the horn and the price was right wouldn't hesitate to buy it, and would use the red rot to try to negotiate the price down a little (it would help to know the cost of a newly installed Miraphone lead pipe going it) then ask the seller to split the cost of a new lead pipe.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H, and King 3B tenor
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Postby hammerhead48 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 pm

I had to replace a lead pipe on a 1978 Miraphone 186. $ 900.00
hammerhead48
lurker
lurker

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction