Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker?

Repair and modification discussion
tubacchus
lurker
lurker

Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker?

Post by tubacchus »

I’m looking at a Miraphone 186 for sale, from the 70s. It sounds great, and it appears to be in excellent condition, but I noticed some spots on the leadpipe that appear to be red rot. Should this be a deal breaker? Opinions? Suggestions?

Photos here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xv1Td ... qPU9l9EQ_X" target="_blank" target="_blank

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tubacchus
lurker
lurker

Re: Is this red rot? Should it be a deal breaker?

Post by tubacchus »

Thank you for the viewpoint and the cleaning recommendation.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

My 186 of similar vintage has similar spots on the lead pipe, I've had it chemically cleaned, and I try to clean it on a regular basis with dawn dishsoap and a brush. I've had other horns with these spots and never had one develop a hole. If it's only on the lead pipe, and you're getting a good price on it, what would it cost to replace the lead pipe if and when it develops a hole (which may never happen)? I personally if a liked the horn and the price was right wouldn't hesitate to buy it, and would use the red rot to try to negotiate the price down a little (it would help to know the cost of a newly installed Miraphone lead pipe going it) then ask the seller to split the cost of a new lead pipe.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

I had to replace a lead pipe on a 1978 Miraphone 186. $ 900.00