CC to BBb

Repair and modification discussion
IsaacTuba
bugler
bugler

CC to BBb

Post by IsaacTuba »

Just out of curiosity, I’d never actually try to do it. Is it possible to covert a CC tuba to BBb by adding tubes and piping? It’d be an interesting project to try and figure out.
Arizona State University BM 23'
Baylor University MM 25'

Eastman 836GS CC
Miraphone 181 F
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: CC to BBb

Post by iiipopes »

The problem is the ratio of cylindrical to straight tubing. That can foul up overtone series intonation.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Mirafone used to sell a double-loop tuning slide for converting their CC tuba into BBb. Back in the mid-1960s one of their advertising photos showed someone using one. In the early 1970s the flat-whole-step 5th valves started appearing, so anybody with such a horn could switch it to sort of a BBb tuba just by holding down the 5th and pulling some slides. But the result was never satisfactory as a BBb tuba.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I believe the B&S Neptune is set where the stop arm on the 5th can be turned (engaged when valve is not depressed) and a slightly shorter 5rh valve (to put the horn with 5th in BBb). I believe this was done for the German market, but I could be mistaken.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

If you used a cc tuba that was based on a B-flat tuba design you may be able to (re) introduce different (like the original design) parts that taper more slowly.
Tubas
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

DouglasJB wrote:I believe the B&S Neptune is set where the stop arm on the 5th can be turned (engaged when valve is not depressed) and a slightly shorter 5rh valve (to put the horn with 5th in BBb). I believe this was done for the German market, but I could be mistaken.
Can an Eb be played as a BBb successfully the way??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Three Valves wrote:
DouglasJB wrote:I believe the B&S Neptune is set where the stop arm on the 5th can be turned (engaged when valve is not depressed) and a slightly shorter 5rh valve (to put the horn with 5th in BBb). I believe this was done for the German market, but I could be mistaken.
Can an Eb be played as a BBb successfully the way??
Isn't it tuba folklore that AJ got into Curtis by taping the 4th valve down on an E flat tuba, making it a de facto BB flat horn?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

I met a tubist from the Salvation Army New York Staff band back in the 1960s who said he studied with Bill Bell using his compensating four-valve Eb tuba. He said he used it as a BBb tuba for par of his lessons by clamping down the 4th valve. But I do know that it would be pretty awful on a non-compensating tuba.
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Radar »

It would probably be easier and you would get better results trying to find someone with a similar horn in BBb who wanted to switch to CC and be willing to trade horns. Put the word out there on here, and other Tuba related sites on FB etc.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

Yes to the Jake story.

I often used his Holton CC for lessons. By using a rubber band to hold the 5th valve and pulling slides it made a pretty good BBb.

That was certainly a lot easier than lugging my King back and forth by "L", train and a fair walk from the station to his house.

For that matter is beat hauling a tuba up and down the steep, narrow steps to his studio in the basement.
Free to tuba: good home