5%
supercharger
11%
super-turbocharger
11%
gerbil
74%

Total votes : 19

Re: 186 C tubas - attic treasure - POLL ADDED !!!

Postby YORK-aholic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am

bloke wrote:oh...and do you still want that mechanism...??
if "yes", let me see if I can locate it, and if we can come to some sort of agreement...

Yes please, when you get around to it..
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 pm

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby YORK-aholic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:07 pm

bloke wrote:Image

Nice. That looks pretty classy.
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bort » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:14 pm

That was quick. One more bling and it has to stay with you. :)
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 pm

bort wrote:That was quick. One more bling and it has to stay with you. :)

about five bucks worth of bling, incl. postage... :roll:

Hey...
These are THIN an LIGHTWEIGHT (about 1/5 oz.)
I may only grind the backs down a wee bit.
bloke

Postby Ken Herrick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:00 pm

Guess I'll have to find some coins with koalas and kangaroos to put on mine.
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 pm

again:

> They're decorative.
> They're grippy.
> They wear down, and the spatula material does not.

(If you don't believe they wear down, you should see the 1/2 DM coins (narrower spatulas) that I soldered to on to my B&S "Symphonie" F tuba - shortly after I bought that tuba "new" in the early 1980's... When I installed those coins, they were quite "crisp"...probably what numismatists would label "extra fine"...now: "poor" :|

long-term wear of soft metals, such as brass and nickel-brass: THE REASON why I oil my valves EVERY TIME I play one of my instruments, and am not the LEAST bit interested in oil that "lasts" through multiple playing sessions...because none - at least, none that are non-viscous enough to allow close-tolerance valves to be moved very quickly - (actually) do.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:39 pm

OK...
I ground the thickness of the Deutschmark coins down to 1.5mm (the thinnest I could manage without some custom-made fixture) and lead-soldered them to the spatulas.

Besides picking over a few details (inside-to-outside slide tubing fitment, a not-completely-soldered 5th valve circuit tubing joint, etc, etc...), I vented the valves.

Anyone who is skeptical regarding how drastically venting effects a tuba's fluidity need to stop being a skeptic...several things - which previously had to be executed with a bit of care - can now be executed superbly ...well... "carelessly". :| Just this one thing bumped the tuba up another level from " really great" to "I'm not aware of this tuba when playing it".

The very first tuba I ever bought myself (with money that I saved up from earnings) when I was 17 years old was a 4-valve 186. I'm certain that it (outside of not being fully chromatic) it wasn't as good an instrument as this one. Interestingly, it was a "grey-market" instrument...sold to me by an (at that time) very large store in NYC that was not known as a "Mirafone dealer". That (c. 1973 - 1974) tuba was engraved "MIRAPHONE", and there was no serial number. I wonder (??) - if I had purchased one that plays as well as this one - if I would have had the smarts to hold on to it...I doubt it...and (hey) watch me get "dumb" and sell this one, sometime.
bloke

Postby Ken Herrick » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:45 pm

I know this info has been given out multiple times before so maybe I could be seen as lazy, oh well...………….

What drill size do you use for the vent and do you do multiple holes for any valves?
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Ken Herrick wrote:I know this info has been given out multiple times before so maybe I could be seen as lazy, oh well...………….

What drill size do you use for the vent and do you do multiple holes for any valves?

I stacked three holes on the 5th rotor of my F tuba MANY years ago (because one hole was making the thumb trigger too difficult to overcome the air, and the retract was too slow, otherwise).

I'll measure the bit that I use, and report back. It's not large, but not tiny, either. I use a 12-inch-long bit. These are labeled "aircraft" bits.
I don't ever break them, but I toss and replace them after a while, because I want the tip to be VERY sharp, as there's no way I'm going to start one of these holes with a punch. :shock:
bloke

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:00 pm

If the pint of coffee fails to kick in (now: 7:30 P.M.), I'm not going back out there...
...so (just in case) this may have to do until tomorrow.

The size bit that I choose to use is "whatever this is"...

It seems as though every time I go to the McMaster-Carr website and look at the 12-inch "aircraft" bits, I always seem to remember "what it was I bought before"...and I usually buy a few at a time. The bits are black coated, fwiw.

As can been seen, I've not yet trimmed nor curled the ends of the lever springs.
The previous owner (sometime in the past...??) replaced the springs and never trimmed them. As stated before, they're set "soft", which I like. I'll probably just leave them just as they are, trim them and - with super-skinny needle-nosed pliers, curl the ends "real purdy-like".

coin-soldering: I tinned the backs of each of them - all the way to their edges, but not a bit beyond - with lead solder, painted clear water-consistency flux on the spatulas, and just floated them in place (on the horn). no muss...no fuss...no scraping...no buffing. I did "kill" (deactivate) the acid flux with a paper towel sprayed with "Blaster" penetrating oil.

My ancient San Francisco/Reunion Blues bag (that I use for my F tuba) was obviously actually made for a 16-1/2" bell 186...so (provided I don't need both of those tubas for the same job...or for back-to-back-jobs on the same day, I've got a bag that offers perfect fitment.

Last edited by bloke on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 pm

again...
It's probably time to close this thread...unless there are any more questions/comments.
It's all done - other than putting some sort of finish on it.
I've even got all the slides (including main) "floating"...so there's really nothing else to do, but to play it on a couple of "archustrah" concerts this month (as I'm an "artiste" you know... :roll: ). I've got a wall-to-wall (very few rests, and it seems as though I play on every damned song) 1970's disco pops in a couple of weeks, and Scheherazade just before Halloween. I'm thinking it should do just fine for both, particularly as Scheherazade can use some of the signature "mean-sounding bark" that a thin-wall smaller-bell 186 can offer. :|
bloke

Postby bloke » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:02 pm

ok...
The keel being barely off center (going off the old marks didn't quite put it where it needed to be, visually) bothered me too much, and I had to move it.
While I had it off I chickened out, and replaced it with with a modern-style keel...taken off one of the attic 186 B-flats.
Of course, it was bent, and it took a while to restore it to the curvature of an undamaged bottom bow.

The tall one didn't hurt my leg, but realized that I could feel it. I can't feel this one.

In about three weeks, this tuba will be satin silver with a few bright silver highlights (slides, bell interior, kranz, bottom bow ferrules, stop arms, engraved casing tops, engraved caps, carriage bar, carriage screws, water key, NOT the paddles: because I don't want to get silver plating solution in the T-joints, and my fingers would likely soon wear the silver off the coins anyway).

:arrow: CHECK BACK TO THIS THREAD AROUND THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF NOVEMBER TO SEE THE FINISHED PRODUCT.
bloke

Previous

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction