Buescher Sousaphone Valve

Repair and modification discussion
Todd
lurker
lurker

Buescher Sousaphone Valve

Post by Todd »

I know chances are slim that anyone will by why not ask? In walked in a very nice looking buescher sousaphone. And then I realize its missing the second valve. Just one little, big, detail that makes this a big useless horn. HA HA!

Any way its serial number 347401, which I guess puts it between 1950-55. Measuring the other two valves its there diameter is 1.0625

It doesn't look like 20's buescher sousaphones. It has a 26" bell and the leadpipe goes straight into the 1st valve.

SO ANYONE HAVE A 2nd VALVE?
Todd
lurker
lurker

Re: Buescher Sousaphone Valve

Post by Todd »

Thanks Bloke. Yes you are right the valve section looks very much like a Conn, so most likely, in the end that is what will be done.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Joe put you on the right track. I think what you have is a Buescher/Bundy/Selmer sousaphone. Keep your eyes out for a Selmer 'Signet' fiberglass sousa. I think the valveset is EXACTLY the same as yours. They pop up on Ebay once in a while for cheap. Schools had quite a few of them and I'd guess many are still sitting in the 'back rooms' of those schools.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

Dan Schultz wrote:Joe put you on the right track. I think what you have is a Buescher/Bundy/Selmer sousaphone. Keep your eyes out for a Selmer 'Signet' fiberglass sousa. I think the valveset is EXACTLY the same as yours. They pop up on Ebay once in a while for cheap. Schools had quite a few of them and I'd guess many are still sitting in the 'back rooms' of those schools.
You mean like this one thats listed in Lousiana?
https://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/d ... 71107.html" target="_blank
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
Reynolds Contempora Bb Tuba
1965 King 1250 Sousaphone (Sold)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I used to own, for a little while, a Selmer Signet fiberglass souzy. Bloke and TubaTinker are exactly right.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

It's a great deal, but only if you can get the ugly foot with it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".