Buescher Sousaphone Valve Bookmark and Share

Buescher Sousaphone Valve

Postby Todd » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:29 pm

I know chances are slim that anyone will by why not ask? In walked in a very nice looking buescher sousaphone. And then I realize its missing the second valve. Just one little, big, detail that makes this a big useless horn. HA HA!

Any way its serial number 347401, which I guess puts it between 1950-55. Measuring the other two valves its there diameter is 1.0625

It doesn't look like 20's buescher sousaphones. It has a 26" bell and the leadpipe goes straight into the 1st valve.

SO ANYONE HAVE A 2nd VALVE?
Todd
lurker
lurker

Re: Buescher Sousaphone Valve

Postby bloke » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

If you don't find one, those later-era Selmer USA sousaphones' valvesets are very similar in shape/style to Conn, and - if you found a complete 36K (Conn fiberglass) valveset for a low price, you might consider substituting the entire valveset for Conn, and then seeing if you could sell your later-era Buescher (Selmer, USA) valveset for parts.

to be clear: It's obviously not time, yet, to give up on finding a piston.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Todd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks Bloke. Yes you are right the valve section looks very much like a Conn, so most likely, in the end that is what will be done.
Todd
lurker
lurker

Postby Dan Schultz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

Joe put you on the right track. I think what you have is a Buescher/Bundy/Selmer sousaphone. Keep your eyes out for a Selmer 'Signet' fiberglass sousa. I think the valveset is EXACTLY the same as yours. They pop up on Ebay once in a while for cheap. Schools had quite a few of them and I'd guess many are still sitting in the 'back rooms' of those schools.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction