OTS all-nickel silver Eb tuba - 1860's Bookmark and Share

OTS all-nickel silver Eb tuba - 1860's

Postby bloke » Thu May 14, 2020 7:07 pm

no engraving whatsoever...probably Boston-made.

I've had it for a while, but have not tried to play it.
I just freed the rotors, took them out, and there seems to be little-to-no wear...
...ie. "shhhhh-gonk"
As time allows (and no prompting by any interested party will speed me up), I'll be slicking this thing out for sale to some collector/reenacter.
It's got the most elegant valveset wrap of any of these that I've ever seen, and I'm going to fix up as if if I were going to keep it for myself.
I may not (??) be able to get the linkage absolutely silent, because I'm not sure if it ever was...(??)...but I'll do my best.
I'm certainly not going to replace it with friggin' Minibal links. :lol: :P

I probably will show VERY FEW pictures in this thread...I'm not a picture-taker, but I am a fixer-upper.

The mouthpiece receiver is right at English-small-shank/bass trombone size, so MANY options will obviously be available without any sort of adapter.

:arrow: Please don't p.m. asking for a price, right now, nor even to express interest...and I'm also not interested in sending pic's to blah-blah expert "to get their take", or whatever.
:idea: You'll know when it's done, and that's precisely when I'll be interested in selling it.
I'll be pricing it precisely at "as much as I think I can possibly get".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: OTS all-nickel silver Eb tuba - 1860's

Postby bloke » Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm

...The weird round "bubble" on the right side of the large-side bottom bow ferrule is my cimbasso's bell flare - photo-bombing in the background.
bloke

Postby bloke » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

update: slide tubes are ALL free, and NO casualties

Admittedly, Dan Oberloh (fb private "how's your day going?" chat) handed off a bit of courage, reminding me that nickel silver is really durable (ie. none of it is going to be rotten) and - even though it's old/rare/valuable/irreplaceable/blah-blah - the same ol' techniques used on 50-year-old to 1-year-old horns are going to work on 160-year-old horns.

As soon as this next-in-line middle school's wrecked instruments are done/delivered/billed (apparently, they prefer "brown" horns, too :| ), I'd REALLY like to get this thing slicked out, photographed, and sold to someone with dough burning a hole in their pocket...so what tune should I use for a demo, and should I wear blue, or grey...??

bloke "PB Blaster, C-pliers, and close-fitting steel rods"
bloke

Postby ggdadams » Fri May 22, 2020 1:17 am

"Home Sweet Home" Grey!
1970ish Marzan BBb
1924 King Bell Front BBb
1932 King Bell Front BBb (0.75" bore)
1970ish Marzan BBb slant rotor
ggdadams
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am

I'm finishing up straightening out a smashed-up YBB-321 tuba, and - after that - there are only about seven other not-nearly-as-smashed-up instruments for that middle school.

...but - in the meantime - there will be SEVEN children here, today for several hours :roll: (none older than 12, and most are younger).

:arrow: After I complete the stack of middle school instruments, I'm going to try to sandwich in the completed "restoration" (isn't that what y'all call it when someone does a good job of fixing something?) of this OTS E-flat tuba. Frankly, I'm curious as to how it plays. It would not play (due to valve alignment, as the rotor bumpers are INTERNAL) when I received possession of it.
bloke

Postby scottw » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

[quote=

As soon as this next-in-line middle school's wrecked instruments are done/delivered/billed (apparently, they prefer "brown" horns, too :| ), I'd REALLY like to get this thing slicked out, photographed, and sold to someone with dough burning a hole in their pocket...so what tune should I use for a demo, and should I wear blue, or grey...??

bloke "PB Blaster, C-pliers, and close-fitting steel rods"[/quote]

so what tune should I use for a demo, and should I wear blue, or grey...??

Old Dog Trey
Grey, since you are a Southron
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Fri May 22, 2020 2:58 pm

OK...the YBB-321 bottom bow is "good enough"...

(Mrs. bloke - once again - used the 3-lb. sledgehammer rebound technique on this. We also both pushed down TOGETHER (4 hands - 2 people's weight) - using regular-ol' burnishing techniques. We've BOTH lost considerable weight, so it takes BOTH of us - now - to be able to push down as hard as I used to be able to push down by myself. I guess I could have annealed it, but I really didn't feel like polishing burned lacquer off the whole dang bottom bow. :roll: )

yes...For schools, I do things that are "good enough" - particularly considering what they are going to turn right back around and do again. :|

I'm also a taxpayer, so - when asked to do work for government entities - I try to not waste others' confiscated tax dollars, because I don't really like mine wasted either.

I'm EAGER to finish this school's stuff, and EAGER to see about the OTS.

bloke "It would have been really cool - back in the late 1960's through early 1970's - to have had something as cool as a YBB-321 at our school - an model towards which many tuba players (as well as band directors) look down their noses."
bloke

Postby bloke » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm

I STILL have to replace the bell-to-top-bow brace (busted), remove flare and other bell dents, clean it, and replace corks/felts.

This is the friggin' endless crap tuba.

I have to step away, and move on to the the silver Miraphone.
I have to remove it's tarnish by tomorrow, for its new owner.
bloke

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction