Scratches

Repair and modification discussion
tubaguy4
lurker
lurker

Scratches

Post by tubaguy4 »

Hi
I treat my horn extremely safe however coming back from the cleaning and service I found a fairly decent sized succession on scratches along the main u-bend. They haven't effected the sound at all, its mainly just bugging me haha. Anyhow I have heard that fixing scratches with a new lacquer can change the timbre so I am reluctant to look into that. Does any one know any ways make scratches look less bad or reduce how much they stand out? Thanks
Best,

Tubaguy4
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Scratches

Post by tofu »

Get a hammer. Whack tuba. Now you have a big dent and you will forget about the scratches. :lol:

Seriously that sucks. Scratches are tough as there probably isn't a lot you can do. Perhaps try a good clear coat car polish/wax like Maguires. A good shop would own up to it before even giving the horn back to you and come up with some sort of amicable resolution. Perhaps your shop just didn't realize they scratched your horn. As Bloke suggests go back there - but go in with a positive / benefit of the doubt attitude and hopefully they will be willing to work out a solution agreeable to both of you. If you go in hostile you will most likely just get a hostile reaction back.

I like to have an ongoing relationship with my repair guy and make sure he knows exactly what my expectations are before we do anything to any of my horns. I've never had a problem - but that may be because I'm a dangerous looking guy. :shock: I'd also suggest taking dated photos at the shop when you drop a horn off. Protects you and them.
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Re: Scratches

Post by Lars Trawen »

Hello all,
Probably this could help to remove scratches not only on cars.
https://dudegadgets.com/products/fix-it-pro
I've never tested it but it should work.
Good luck,
Lars
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial