Bell modification?

Repair and modification discussion
koterbski
bugler
bugler

Bell modification?

Post by koterbski »

Is it possible to get a bell reconstruction, meaning that a straight bell can be modified to be interchangable? To switch between foward and upward? Thanks!
Anthony koterbski
CC Schiller 5v
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Bell modification?

Post by Dan Schultz »

It's not unusual for a horn to have both and upright and a recording bell.

If you are asking about a bell that can swivel from forward to upright... I don't know about that. But... I guess it would be possible.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

koterbski wrote:Is it possible to get a bell reconstruction, meaning that a straight bell can be modified to be interchangable? To switch between foward and upward? Thanks!
A number of brands have interchangeable upright and recording bells from the factory. The King 12xx and 23xx models, Conn 2xJ models and some 60s vintage Mirafone 186s. All in BBb and there must be others. I have seen pictures of Eb instruments with interchangeable bells. I have not seen many recording bells sold separately but upright bells are available fairly easily. You could modify an instrument with an upright bell to have an interchangeable bell, especially if the instrument has a corresponding model with an interchangeable bell. Some kind of swiveling bell sounds like too much of an effort.
koterbski
bugler
bugler

Post by koterbski »

A number of brands have interchangeable upright and recording bells from the factory. The King 12xx and 23xx models, Conn 2xJ models and some 60s vintage Mirafone 186s. All in BBb and there must be others. I have seen pictures of Eb instruments with interchangeable bells. I have not seen many recording bells sold separately but upright bells are available fairly easily. You could modify an instrument with an upright bell to have an interchangeable bell, especially if the instrument has a corresponding model with an interchangeable bell. Some kind of swiveling bell sounds like too much of an effort.[/quote]

Thanks! I feel I should have added making threads to screw on a difference bell haha!
Anthony koterbski
CC Schiller 5v