Wall hanger repair

Repair and modification discussion
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Wall hanger repair

Post by Tabor »

I love when I can find a "wall hanger" & get it playing. I bought a wall hanger baritone horn this afternoon (advertised as non-repairable) from a really nice guy who had some antiques.

I think he was happy that I intended to fix it. Thankfully, it was on a chain (not drilled into or screwed through) and being just dented, dirty, tarnished, stuck and bent here and there, it looked ok to me (as long as the valves weren't really really bad). Everything was stuck.

A little light dent ball work, some heavy clean up, unbending, and good luck with unsticking everything using MONSTER OIL instead of other stuff & everything moves once again. Tomorrow, I plan to get some corks & felts & see how it plays........Now for the 2 missing buttons

Tubas
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Wall hanger repair

Post by edsel585960 »

Nice looking euphonium! There is no better feeling than bringing one back from the dead. :D
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

High pitch horn WITH the low pitch slide. Nice find! Probably a good player.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Lots of silver on all the slides. The valves were little corrosion-scratchy, so I lapped them a little. They really don't seem to be in bad shape.

It is at a local shop so they can look through the old parts bins for possible matching buttons (fingers crossed).
Tubas
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Yes, a great find all around - congratulations!

Looks like a Conn "New Wonder" (maybe "New Invention"?), BTW......
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

Well, no matching caps, but 4 new Conn style caps don't look bad & do the trick. It plays. The valves are surprisingly good, especially since it is a 1913 model. I'll bet when the valve stems got bent and everything got stuck it just stayed in storage or hanging from that chain, or maybe it was the high/low pitch thing.

Tubas