New pipe for Alex 4v CC & improved tuning slide trigger-low

Repair and modification discussion
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

New pipe for Alex 4v CC & improved tuning slide trigger-low

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Finally had a different pipe put on my older Alex 4v CC from the 1960's and had the tuning slide trigger mechanism for the ultra low range tweaked.
No more low intonation G's or D's..amazing what a tapered pipe can do to an older CC Alex....plays great. And low F with 1&4 trigger is on the dot....may experiment with other pipes too, but this really one makes a difference...
Mark

Last edited by bisontuba on Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: New pipe for Alex 4v CC & improved tuning slide trigger-

Post by Tom »

Is that a custom leadpipe or the stock pipe frpm another make and model of tuba?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Custom pipe
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler

Post by tubadoctor »

Who made the pipe for you, and would you be willing to share whatever measurements you have have on it? Would love to see how it compares to the taper on the pipe I'm in the process of installing on mine.
By in the process, I mean I have it half done on the bend and ran out of time. Hehe. Now I'm stuck hoping for a weekend free or wake up early a few times to burn out pitch and touch up the first two bends before finishing it up.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
It is one of two done for it. Talk to Norm Epkey re. this one...the receiver is a stock receiver that was adjusted so a 3/8" gap exists. The other is a G.B. lead pipe from 'The Berliner Tuba' with his own receiver -which will have a 3/8" gap-that will replace this one once Norm bends it and it gets up here....will put that one on and see which one is best for me. Louis--The Berliner Tuba-makes straight pipes for old Alex's in yellow & gold brass (g.b.), silver plated, and bronze.
Mark