York 716

Repair and modification discussion
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

York 716

Post by roweenie »

I just finished up this one recently.

Anderson valve job, Meinlschmidt top-loading 5th valve, tubing aligned and replaced with new nickel silver stuff, etc. The fourth valve circuit needed to be altered a little, including fabricating some doglegs, to accommodate the space required for the 5th valve.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: York 716

Post by bisontuba »

Very nice!!!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

WOW! :shock:
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Fantastic job roweenie!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

YORK-aholic wrote:Oh my!

Drool. This makes me even less patient to get my York 702 sorted out.

I know this will sound weird, but I like the look of the bell with just a bit of silver remaining on it.

Gorgeous.

Could you enlighten us on what (parts and work) went into this horn? The bottom bow looks to perhaps have been from a top action horn.

Very nice.
Thanks for the compliments! Actually, the bell is just tarnished - most of the plating is still there....

You are very observant - the solder scar from the removed carriage ring tells the tale. The bottom bow that came with the horn was adapted to take a slightly larger bell (it was done very well, BTW - it will be very useful for another project) so I decided to use another bottom bow from a top action "tall-bell" parted-out York that I had lying around.

When I decided to add the 5th valve, I needed to shift the 4th valve tubing a little bit. So, I needed to make a new dogleg connecting the top 4th valve branch to the 4th valve tuning slide. The "easiest" way to do it was to take a crook, cut it dead center, and silver solder it back together with the ends pointing in opposite directions. I also needed to re-tube the 1st valve circuit - the lower part of the circuit would be in the way of the 5th valve.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Yes, especially since I wanted one that took up a minimal amount of vertical space. It would have been very difficult to use pitch to bend a tube with two 90° angles so close to each other.

The difficult part is to get the two cut ends to mate perfectly, and then (for me :oops: ) to hold them in place while hard soldering them. I suppose I could have just soft-soldered a narrow ferrule there, but this makes a neater appearance.