Wade's Catch-All Project Thread

Repair and modification discussion
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: That First Cut...

Post by The Big Ben »

I get it. You are scratching a very old itch regarding K-90 contras. You have been thinking of this K-90 project for awhile and have seen problems others have had with their K-90 projects. You are planning to avoid such problems.

Should be interesting. When you have posted descriptions of your projects, it is very interesting to people who enjoy descriptions of mechanical build processes. Even if I am not interested in the particular instrument or modification you are building, seeing how you do it is fun.

Carry on.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wade's K-90 Nightmare Thread

Post by roweenie »

All I can say is......wow!
the elephant wrote: I recently came across some super fine ones from a Swiss company that makes blades that tend to not snap in half all that often. (You actually can use these blades until they wear out.)
What's your new source for jeweler's saw blades? I'm fed up with the crap I've been using...
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wade's Catch-All Project Thread

Post by roweenie »

the elephant wrote:If I had an O-99/4 and wanted to add a 5th valve I would use something larger, like .687"/.689" at least. I would add it to the far side of the main slide. I have not considered that, so I do not know whether it would fit there. If you *did* use one of these it would need to be placed directly after the 4th piston.
It can be done, at least on the large side...

The rotor is 17.5 mm (.689). If you wanted to put it on the small side, it would have to be .656 (which unfortunately falls about half-way between 16.5 and 17 mm) - also, as Wade said, the linkage would be a challenge....
Last edited by roweenie on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

You do very fine work there roweenie. I am always impressed with its cleanliness and its "factory" look. That rotor just looks like it belongs there! Well done sir!

On another note...where can a 0.689 piston be found? Sorry to hijack your thread Wade, but I love your projects! I'm very encouraged by the walk-throughs. I love seeing those almost more than those that simply present a final product. I love to hear about the process!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

the elephant wrote:I had to put my 5th valve on my Monster Eb at a 45º angle just like yours as it was the only way to fit in the space and be removable from the casing. That made the linkage a bit weird. We think alike, sir, at least in this manner. :lol: Nice work.
Indeed - I got the idea from following your play-by-play 8) 8) 8) 8).... thanks!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Very informative explanation - thanks!

What tool(s) would be used to expand such large pieces of tubing?

And, I'm guessing that since the tubes are telescoped, a Rusk-cut really isn't a "cut", leaving the original tubing intact but hidden?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

That look like a muffler pipe expander - ingenious!

I was thinking of something like a thick tapered wooden table leg, but it probably wouldn't hold up to the force needed to expand the brass.