I'm glad I took geometry and shop in jr high school.

Repair and modification discussion
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Re: I'm glad I took geometry and shop in jr high school.

Post by b.williams »

Today they would have you write about "How do you feel about the trees that gave their lives for your selfish project?" :shock:
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

There is not a day goes by that I don't use some form of math, geometry, trig, drafting, or machine shop skills. I even had to dig out the old orange Illinois Tool Works trig booklet a few days ago. Machinery's Handbook is always within arms reach.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

I'm always impressed with Tom Silva on This Old House etc, how he does stuff. He has it all worked out to make it just SO easy....and that kind of expertise is leaving the planet due to die off of people with the knowledge and the current cultural focus on everybody needing a college education in order to get anywhere. It's like the only satisfaction that counts is how much money you can make working 80 hours a week at a computer. Bleah. I wish he'd write a book that we could squirrel away for when computers can't build things.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Once you have the curves done, then the rafters go quick with a rafter square:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/1468-h ... XJoNLpFyUk" target="_blank
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

MaryAnn wrote:I'm always impressed with Tom Silva on This Old House etc, how he does stuff. He has it all worked out to make it just SO easy....and that kind of expertise is leaving the planet due to die off of people with the knowledge and the current cultural focus on everybody needing a college education in order to get anywhere. It's like the only satisfaction that counts is how much money you can make working 80 hours a week at a computer. Bleah. I wish he'd write a book that we could squirrel away for when computers can't build things.
Tom is great, but I've seen some outakes - it doesn't always go so well! :lol: The guy I personally think is a genius (and all-around nice guy) is Norm. Bob Villa OTOH I'm not so sure ever really knew what he was doing. :shock:

It is such a shame that so many middle school and HS have done away with the shop classes in this ceaseless drumbeat of everybody must go to college and the new motto spouted by politicians of you "earn what you learn" with the implication that you can only learn in a 4 year college. Some of the most knowledgable and talented friends I have are plumbers/carpenters/electricians/auto mechanics/ HAVC guys etc. Professions that require a ton of knowledge and skill and BTW - pay really well - probably better than all those people who get law degrees and can't get a law related job.
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Post by basslizard »

tofu wrote:
It is such a shame that so many middle school and HS have done away with the shop classes in this ceaseless drumbeat of everybody must go to college and the new motto spouted by politicians of you "earn what you learn" with the implication that you can only learn in a 4 year college. Some of the most knowledgable and talented friends I have are plumbers/carpenters/electricians/auto mechanics/ HAVC guys etc. Professions that require a ton of knowledge and skill and BTW - pay really well - probably better than all those people who get law degrees and can't get a law related job.
Hey, I took shop in Jr. High, as well as band, and I went to college. To be fair, I am not working in the field that my 4 year degree is in for a myriad of reasons, one of which is that it requires an MS that I do not have the resources to pursue. I make more money in the tech field, and anyone can study for Cisco CCENT/CCNA certifications. Also flunked algebra in 9th grade, but still made it through calculus in high school. I use math, and those long-ago learned shop classes on a regular basis. My kids are appreciative so far of the enforced Thou Shalt Play Music parental edict. My parents required it, didn't hurt any of us, so I require it. I do let them choose their format. Son is following my low brass love, daughter is playing my oboe and stole my drumsticks to learn percussion. All three of us play in the local city band.

I am sad that my kids won't be taking shop classes. Around here, the closes they'll get is Ag, and we don't farm. Hazards of living in a very rural community.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
1916 Buescher Eb
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
American Standard 1929 Bb Baritone
Beaufort 1920's Euphonium
1960's Bundy oboe - family heirloom, has been played by three generations